We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

Hi,

Please take a few minutes to review and provide feedback on this itinerary :

15th feb : Arrive in Guwahati airport

15th feb : travel to Kaziranga national park

1 night stay in Kaziranga

16th feb : Arrive in Shillong

17th feb: travel to Cherrapunjee

18th feb: visit living root bridge

19th feb: sight seeing in Shillong or Mawlynnong ?

20th feb : return to Guwahati

Questions :

Is this a doable plan ?

How to get to Kaziranga national park from Guwahati airport ?

Any recommendation on where to stay in Kaziranga?

How to get to Shillong from Kaziranga ?

Where do I book our safaris ?

How safe is it for 2 girls to travel?

Thanks!

Suman

cape town
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

Your itinerary is very rushed, and the route taken is very long. I would suggest :

15th - Guwahati airport to Shillong (4 hours).

16th - Sightseeing Shillong. Arrive at Cherrapunjee (2 hours). Sightseeing of Cherrapunjee. Living root bridges are about 2 hour trek away.

17th - Drive to Mawlynnong (2-3 hours). See living root bridge near Mawlynnong which is about a half hour walk away.

18th - Drive to Kaziranga (5-6 hours). Halt at eco lodges.

19th - Go for elephant safaris and jeep safaris.

20th -Return to Guwahati (5 hours)

_______________________-

Well it seems like a doable plan but its always better to add an extra day or two.

I would suggest you hire a car for the whole trip, since transportation in Northeast India at times become a problem.

There are plenty of options to stay in Kaziranga, from budget to mid range to luxurious hotels.

It is advisable to find a good agent to book your safaris beforehand, as Kaziranga is a popular tourist spot and it becomes too hectic to do it at the time of arrival. You can contact Greener Pastures (www.thegreenerpastures.com) at +91 9435747471 to get help customize a trip for you according to your requirements at a nominal service charge.

In Mawlynnong you can stay at the village tree house.

The destinations you want to visit are very safe and I am sure you girls will have a great holiday in Northeast India.

For a trip in Northeast, it would be best to catch hold of a reliable tour operator as travelling independently turns out to be quite costly, and a bit hectic.

bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

Thanks a bunch ! I'm going to alter our plans accordingly :-)

3. Re: Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 17:41
bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

Hi Karikor,

We want to do some hiking and go on off-beaten tracks. If we can avoid the mad touristy rush that will be great.

We are looking for suggestions and options to make the most out of this trip.

Cheers,

Suman

Shillong
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

Suman,

My advice to you is to either dump the Kaziranga trip as Kaziranga is 300 kms from Shillong and will take you atleast 6 hours, provided your not stuck in mindless traffic or add atleast 2-3 more days to your trip.

I will mail you a list of options that you can choose from in a few minutes.

I will then make the itenary as per your choice.

Cheers,

Karikor

6. Re: Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

Thanks but I havent received your mail.

8. Re: Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

9. Re: Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
705 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Itinerary to Shillong, Kaziranga, Chirapunji Feb 2012

I hope you had a good time