We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

We are a Family of 10 planning to visit end of July. There are four children.

We have short listed plantation trails and The Jade Home stay. We are also thinking of Orange county .

Any suggestions on what are the best locations if we want to do Dubare and Talacavery and a visit to Madkeri? And does it rain all the time in July ?

Also any suggestions on what we should not miss in Corg.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

No it doesnt rain all of the time in July, but do be warned it is the monsoon!

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
36,619 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

I stayed in Club Mahindra Coorg, it was fabulous in all aspects. Talacavery and Dubare can be done in a half day sight seeing trip from Madikeri. Yes, the intensity of monsoon will be high in July.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 18:19
Boston...
Level Contributor
173 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

As gjo mentioned it may not rain that bad in July. Anyways the climate is all messed up, so can't really tell. However in and around Madikeri there are high rainfall area. So places you may get very heavy rains.

If you ask me, I would suggest giving Dubare a miss. Its not worth the time and effort you put in to visit that place.

Madikeri, Suntikoppa, Polibetta are some locations you could check out to stay. Madikeri gets a lot crowded though.

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

Thank you. We are now thinking of one day in Madikeri to cover Talakaveri and Dubare and then move to Polibetta for plantation Trails for three nights.

This should work well I guess. It will save the long travel from Polibetta to Talakaveri. And while on the subject - is Talakaveri important only as a Piligrimage centre or is there anything else to look for.

Boston...
Level Contributor
173 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

I have never been to Talvacauvery, but always been on the wish list. There is a temple out there and a small pond that is supposed to be the origin of cauvery. To me the attraction is the drive to the place and I am assuming the view is also nice from there. You may want to try Tadiyandemol if you like some hiking.

Polibetta is lovely. You will love it. Its not too far from Madikeri, but the roads were really bad. Can't exceed 50KMPH, unless the vehicle is a taxi.

No plans to visit the Tibetian monastery?

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

Thanks for the reply.

I am hoping to cover the Monastery while at Dubare. Should be close I guess. Depends on weather I think.

Have you been to Dubare elephant camp and done a Safari from there? Is that anyway similar to Nagarahole Safari? The reason I am asking is that Nagarahole is closed in July- Sep I am told.

Best Regards,

Ravi

Boston...
Level Contributor
173 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

I have been to Dubare, but to the elephant camp and I regretted going there.

Jungle Lodges offers a safari in Dubare. The claimed there were leoparts, bison, elephants etc in Dubare. But it didn't sound convincing to me though. Please note that this safari is available only to their guests.

Eventhough Nagarahole is closed for safaris you can still drive around there. Just that you cannot go off the road into the forest. You will still see a lot of animals. I know folks who have spotted tigers and leopards on the road. I highly recommend trying this if the forest is closed for safaris.

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

Thank you , that's really useful.

Best regards,

Ravi

10. Re: Location for Stay in Coorg in Monsoon - End July !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 07:48