We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Try Coconut grove - Budget hotel

Bangalore
3 posts
Save Topic
Try Coconut grove - Budget hotel

Havelock is Heaven, there ain't doubt about this.

If you are looking at best deals, try Cocunut Grove. It is relatively new place but very affordable. Rs 500 for a cottage; Rs 300 for a room. The staff there are ultra nice.

Activities: Rent a bike (200Rs + petrol cost), chill at beach, check out corals, deep sea dive, boating etc.

Food: They have everything and are flexible; so you can have your choice; you can cook too if you so desire. There is a place (wild orchid) for better food.

Cleanliness: Pretty good.

Distance: Once you reach Havelock island; autos would take 30-50 rupees (its 3 kms from the jetty)

To reach: You have to book tickets once you land in Port blair; which is bad. There are some agents who would charge a premium for ship tickets to Havelock. You can try helicoptor ride (Rs 850 per head) which is ultra nice. It takes 20 mins of breathtaking ride. From ship, it would take 2 hours.

Also: Check out Neal island (on way to Havelock).

Kids: Not very attractive for kids. No place where you can leave kids.

Oldies: Can't expect luxury. Tourists are dressed shabbily; might look weird if you are with your parents.

Overall, its amazing! You would love your every moment; we did! We are even planning to time share a cottage on a permanent basis.

-abby

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Try Coconut grove - Budget hotel

Are you referring to the Coconut Groove which is beside the Dolphin Resort (a few steps from Wild Orchid) ?

Thiruvananthapuram
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Try Coconut grove - Budget hotel

Hunter...

I am planning to go to Havelock Island On November....it would be a great help ..if u pls answer my questions...

1)any legal formalities for Indian Nationals?/

2)Flyin Options??(Deccan,Jet??)

3)From Port Blair?(your idea of Chopper is fascinating)

4)Coconut Grove Bookings?(Any contact no.s or agents u know?)

5)Average cost for the entire travel of Two??

Pls. answer me.....waiting for ur advice/suggestions...

Kiran

Thiruvananthapuram
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Try Coconut grove - Budget hotel

Paradise Hunter,

HELP!! HELP!

I am planning to go to Havelock Island On November....it would be a great help ..if u pls answer my questions...

1)Flyin Options??(Deccan,Jet??)

2)From Port Blair to Havelock??

3)Helicopter only on saturdays??

4)Coconut Grove Bookings?

5)Which is better booking thru agents or Hotel Directly??

Kiran

the netherlands
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Try Coconut grove - Budget hotel

Hello there,

WE are going to havelock the 5the of november and we would like to reserve a lodge !

Do you know the email adres of cocunut grove resort??

can you email me please????

wstassen73@yahoo.com

Many thankssssssssssssssssss

wendy stassen

the netherlands

Bangalore
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Try Coconut grove - Budget hotel

Hi there,

Sorry I was away to UK and wasn't checking this page. Looks like you already travelled to Haveclock. However, some other might find these questions useful. Here are the replies:

if u pls answer my questions...

1)Flyin Options??(Deccan,Jet??)

Ans: Does not matter; both operate. depends on availability and cost. From Chennai, it costs around 3500 per person one way.

2)From Port Blair to Havelock??

Ans: This is the most tricy part. You have to take tickets at the port where ferries to Havelock leave. Tickets are sold only in the mornings and there is always a queue for that. However, you can pay some premium to your hotel in Port blair for arranging your tickets. Tickets cost around 200 one way for A/C.

3)Helicopter only on saturdays??

Ans: I'm not sure on what days helicoptors fly from port blair to Havelock. We took ride on Saturday from Havelock back to Port blair. Once you reach, you should ask around.

4)Coconut Grove Bookings?

Ans: Oh, you would realize that the whole pre-booking and internet stuff doesn't work on Havelock; which is both good and Bad. Its still some 100 years back. Usually hotels are plenty and you can find one easily as soon as you reach Havelock. For cosy ones, try Barefoot (This u can book online) and Wild orchid. For Coconut grove, its just walk in. Ask for the owners, they are called Roys. Its a "budget" hotel and hence don't expect any fancy stuff there. They have nice clean room with walkable distance to beach and with excellent staff.

5)Which is better booking thru agents or Hotel Directly??

Ans: On your own. If agents can help, that may be better.

Ans: We spent around Rs. 35000 for two for 7 days including flights and everything from Bangalore.

Kiran

6. Re: Try Coconut grove - Budget hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 20:50
Get answers to your questions about Havelock Island