We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to plan my trip to proserpine, whitsunday, airlie beach?

Jaffna, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
How to plan my trip to proserpine, whitsunday, airlie beach?
Save

I am planning to visit whitsunday or airlie beach and then cairns from 17~25 Dec. I am going to travel from Brisbane to Cairns by train. The train will stop at Proserpine 5.52 am on 18 Dec. It's quite early in the morning, is there any public transport can take me from train station to whitsunday or airlie beach? If not, how much is a taxi to train station to whitsunday or airlie beach? I think I have to leave on 20 Dec. to catch my train to Cairns. In such short time, what's the best way to see this area? I don't drive. Can anyone recommend any local tour which can take me travel to all the places worth to see in this area?

2 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,097 posts
35 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: How to plan my trip to proserpine, whitsunday, airlie beach?
Save

Firstly, most people would say skip the train and fly - much quicker, easier and more comfortable. Plus local transport will be at the airport. You can fly to Hamilton Island (stay on the island or ferry to Airlie Beach) or Proserpine (and then transfer to Airlie Beach). If you do take the train (overnight from Brisbane) it is 25km to AB - might be a local bus ??? or a expensive taxi.

Your schedule allows you 2 full days in AB (arrival day and next day) - AB is on the coast with a small beach, marina, backpackers places - you have to access the islands via cruise/sailing trip.

https://www.queenslandrailtravel.com.au/Planyourtrip/timetable

http://www.seat61.com/Australia.htm#Brisbane-Townsville-Cairns

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
17,378 posts
63 reviews
26 helpful votes
2. Re: How to plan my trip to proserpine, whitsunday, airlie beach?
Save

May we ask why you plan on taking the train? it is a long time on a train with not much of a view (except a lot of sugar cane). If you are a train enthusiast, then perhaps do so, but if not, please fly, and spend the extra 22 hours you gain actually visiting some interesting places.

cheers.

Reply to: How to plan my trip to proserpine, whitsunday, airlie beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Proserpine
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.