We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef

7 posts
1 review
Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef
Save

Would Proserpine be a good place to stay.?

On budget so accomodation limited to under$2500 for 7 days. Would this be a good place. Any other suggestions welcomed. Places etc.

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,097 posts
35 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef
Save

Main place to access reef is Port Douglas(one hour north of Cairns) - when are you going there ?

Edited: 4 years ago
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington, Washington DC
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
135 reviews
290 helpful votes
2. Re: Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef
Save

Port Douglas is a great place to take kids for a GBR vacation. How many kids and ages? Dates of travel? Able to swim/snorkel?

Sydney
Level Contributor
21,798 posts
3. Re: Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef
Save

Agree with Port Douglas, even if you have to stretch your budget a bit.

We went there with our grandchildren last June. We all loved it so much that we are going again next week. The kids cannot wait. Nor can we.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
23 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef
Save

Proserpine is inland and nowhere near the reef. You would need to travel to Airlie Beach and then take a boat trip. And there's absolutely nothing to do at Proserpine.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,149 posts
83 reviews
83 helpful votes
5. Re: Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef
Save

If the $2500 is just for accommodation,$350+ a night should be enough for reasonable digs - even in PD.

It's hardly 'budget' category. There are plenty of apartment listings well under $300 a night for 2 bedrooms.

If it has to cover the entire holiday, including reef trips and meals, you could be struggling.

It would be helpful to give more information - how many adults? How many kids? Ages? Total budget?

If you want to cut down on costs a little, look on Airbnb and rent an apartment or a house so you can do a bit of self catering - simply not having to go out for breakfast can save a lot.

Agree with everyone else - forget Proserpine and head to Port Douglas, Cairns or Palm Cove and don't stint on the reef trip by just visiting Green Island. Head to the outer reef. More expensive, but totally worth the extra cost.

Oz
Level Contributor
18,051 posts
40 reviews
22 helpful votes
6. Re: Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef
Save

Hi,

What time of the year ?

In late Spring, Summer I would recommend the Southern Reef, Lady Elliot Island to stay (fly from Brisbane) or Lady Musgrave as a day trip (from Bundy Coast or 1770.

In Autumn, Winter I agree with Port Douglas with a boat trip to the outer reef.

Proserpine is the air port you fly into if visiting Airlie Beach/Whitsundays. The reef north and south is infinitely better for diving, snorkeling and fishing however the Whits are fantastic for sailing.

Cheers,

7 posts
1 review
7. Re: Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef
Save

We are hoping to go late sept early October for a week. Really sounds like I need to look at Cairns or Port Douglas .After airfares we will be left with approx $3000. for accomodation etc, etc.

7 posts
1 review
8. Re: Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef
Save

Some really helpful info . Thankyou. Now looking at Cairns or Port Douglas. I'm definitely not going to stint on the Reef experience, as it was a very special memory for me & I hope it will be for the grandchildren. Any further advise very appreciated. Thankyou. The boys are 11 & 9. I'm going with my son & also my 4 yr old grand daughter. Both boys are good swimmers. Not sure I'll take the youngest out to the Reef. Probably just the two boys.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington, Washington DC
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
135 reviews
290 helpful votes
9. Re: Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef
Save

I would choose Port Douglas over Cairns for many reasons, but primarily because PD has Four Mile Beach and Cairns has no beach at all. (You'd have to travel or stay in the northern suburbs of Cairns to find a beach.)

For our last two trips to PD, we stayed at At the Mango Tree Apartments and they were great. The beach is about 2 blocks away and you can walk to town (1km) along a paved footpath. They have a nice pool and BBQ and the property is set back from the road, so it's quiet. For late Sept/early October dates, you can get a 2-BR apartment or townhouse for 2 adults and 3 children for $200 - $250 per night if you stay for 7 nights.

For the best GBR experience from Port Douglas, I highly recommend Wavelength. It's a snorkel-only boat that takes a maximum of 45 passengers to three locations on the Outer Reef. I've been out with Wavelength many times and each trip has been great. We took our kids on Wavelength for the first time when they were aged 9 and 12, so your grandsons should do great.

Reply to: Taking grandchildren to see Great Barrier Reef
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Proserpine
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.