We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car options from Cancun going to Xcalak.

Moses Lake...
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car options from Cancun going to Xcalak.

Trying to plan a fly fishing trip for my husband and myself. Thinking of getting a rental car out of Cancun. How would I go about find out names of agencies, providing my etc. any help/information would be appreciated

XTC Dive Center
Scuba & Snorkeling
The Flats Guide Services
Fishing Charters & Tours
Osprey Tours
Fishing Charters & Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Cultural Tours
8 replies to this topic
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car options from Cancun going to Xcalak.

I would try America/Cancun, Avant, Eastway or Isis. All are reputable companies used by the majority of renters. We don't recommend the big name companies. Book directly thru each companies web site. Also... make sure you have about 6 hours of daylight to do this drive to Xcalak from Cancun...otherwise maybe stay in the pueblo of Tulum to cut your trip in half and avoid driving in the dark.

maine
Level Contributor
646 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car options from Cancun going to Xcalak.

I would avoid Easyway. They've gotten too big for their britches, in our opinion. They gave us a dog a few years ago and we were repeat customers and had used them at least three times prior to that. We have used both Avant and American with no problems. We liked the pick up and drop off at CUN with Avant, although my son had an issue when returning the car for a 5:00 am flight. They weren't there so he had to leave it. It all got sorted out in the end, though.

Strongly agree with Powderglut. Do not try to make it past Tulum at night unless you are very familiar with the road. Too many cyclops (or no eyed) vehicles and critters, both two legged and four legged. Terrible drive at night.

Edited: 04 January 2017, 03:14
maine
Level Contributor
646 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car options from Cancun going to Xcalak.

Also, a stop in Tulum allows you to supply up, which you will want to do if you are renting a casa. No grocery stores south of Tulum... although I saw a Chedraui sign in Felipe Carrillo Puerto. We drove around looking for it and couldn't find it.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car options from Cancun going to Xcalak.

My husband and I did a fly fishing trip last May to Xcalak. We rented a VW Crossfox from America Car Rental. The car was small but sufficient for the two of us. We stopped at Tulum to get groceries. As others have responded, be very careful driving in Mexico. There are too many TOPE ( speed bumps). Some are marked clearly but many are not. IM me if you need additional information.

Hay River, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car options from Cancun going to Xcalak.

We did this exact trip in April and used Avant Rental Car. No issues whatsoever and would absolutely recommend them. Picked up car at airport (easy peasy), hit the highway south with a stop in Tulum for lunch at Pollo Bronco (one of our favs). Gassed up in Felipe Carrillo Puerto and picked up some dinner to go (whole chicken with all the fixins) at Asadero el Pollo, and continued on the road to Xcalak. We were staying up past km 8 (Sin Duda Villas) and had no issues with the small car, though we did have to drive carefully around the potholes on that beach road, lol (be forewarned). Returned car to Playa del Carmen a week later (since we were staying there for 5 days and didn't need the car anymore) and paid the $25 drop-off fee. The drive was uneventful (boring even), but we LOVED Xcalak...just the most relaxing place I've ever been. I will caution that I've heard that a number of tourists have been getting the shake-down around Felipe Carrillo Puerto recently by overzealous cops who pull them over for bribes, but apparently this can be avoided if you take the new toll ring road around FCP (it wasn't open when we were there). In that case, you'd likely want to go right into Mahahual to gas up and then backtrack to the Xcalak turn-off. Safe travels!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,383 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car options from Cancun going to Xcalak.

Much good advice here but I would emphasize to take the advice of others and not drive south of Tulum after dark. That is one of the most dangerous stretches of highways in the area. A narrow Highway with much high-speed traffic which is led to many fatal accidents. Also a negative that in much of the area you are without cell phone service in case of an emergency.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car options from Cancun going to Xcalak.

My husband and I just used Easyway Car Rental in from Cancun. No problem. They picked us, and the other renters, up at the airport (look for the guy with the Easy way shirt and a clipboard. Or ask anyone. They all seems to know each other.) No problem with that. Took us off site to their little shop and processed us all right through. Easy. The cars are of varying degrees of used, so check them out carefully. I always video the cars we rent, just in case. And it let's the company know I'm alert.

Return was easy. We had a very early flight, but the rental attendant sleeps at the shop so we (unfortunately) woke him at 5:30 and he just wisked us off the catch our flight. No problem.

Highly recommend them.

San Dimas...
Level Contributor
49 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car options from Cancun going to Xcalak.

I know my post is late, but for those reading through the forum, we used ISIS on our trip this past December 2017. They are out of Playa del Carmen, but can deliver the car to you at the Cancun airport. Edgar at ISIS was super easy to deal with and always responded promptly to my emails. Great rental prices too!! We drove down to Tulum and then out to Merida and back. No problem with pickup at airport either :)

We are planning a return visit this Dec 2018 as well (Bacalar, Mahahual, Campeche) and will definitely use ISIS again.

Edited: 18 January 2018, 21:48
Reply to: Rental car options from Cancun going to Xcalak.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Xcalak