We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel logistics from Cancun to Holbox, Valladolid, Izamal

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travel logistics from Cancun to Holbox, Valladolid, Izamal

Trying to figure out how to get to Holbox after a noon arrival in Cancun, spend 3 or 4 nights, go to Izamal area for 3 nights then to Ek Balam, stay the night in Valladolid and leave very early for an afternoon flight home. We prefer renting a car for the freedom it allows, but maybe not practical with Holbox on the itinerary. Public transport would be OK if necessary but prefer to have our own car at least for the Izamal, Ek Balam, Valladolid area. Any suggestions at a reasonable expense?

Mentioned in this post
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel logistics from Cancun to Holbox, Valladolid, Izamal

I think you can rent a car for that. You have to. To do all that by bus might involve more time travelling then you want to invest. And don't worry about parking at Holbox. We stayed a couple of nights there and parked in the little town where the ferry is located. It was an enclosed area with other rental cars so I didn't feel worried about leaving the car there.

I would consider cutting a night off your Izamal portion of the trip and spend an additional day in Valladolid.

Mentioned in this post
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel logistics from Cancun to Holbox, Valladolid, Izamal

Thanks. Since posting i see car rentals are fairly cheap so i won't worry about renting the car for the whole time and take advantage of the independence of having one. Any suggestions of good, reasonable rental agency at airport?

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel logistics from Cancun to Holbox, Valladolid, Izamal

All I can say about that is we thought we were getting our rental for about $7.00 a day plus the extra online insurance($70.00). When we picked up the car they added another one hundred some odd dollars to that and wouldn't give us the car for less. I guess it's unavoidable. We used Thrifty (gotta love the name). The car was good and we had no problems.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel logistics from Cancun to Holbox, Valladolid, Izamal

What are your travel dates?

We're flying into Cancun 3/19 then driving to Holbox for 4 nights. Then onto Valladolid for 1 night and ending our trip with a week on the beach in Tulum. Hubby heading over to our farm in Campeche for a few days sometime while we have the rental in Tulum.

Edited: 04 March 2015, 00:51
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Campeche
Campeche
Campeche, Mexico
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel logistics from Cancun to Holbox, Valladolid, Izamal

"I see car rentals are fairly cheap"....I would pay attention to what ricka wrote, and I never would rent a car in Mexico without full insurance coverage, and a 0 deductible. And again as he suggested, I would encourage you to spend less time in Izamal, and (much) more in Valladolid...maybe even to 1 and 3.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel logistics from Cancun to Holbox, Valladolid, Izamal

Except that you will need to get fom Holbox to Izamal, which will take a chunk of time...and which is to suggest that 2 and 2 might be your best use of days.

Mentioned in this post
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
7. Re: Travel logistics from Cancun to Holbox, Valladolid, Izamal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2016, 11:46