We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maya Cenote Park

Monroe, Iowa
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Maya Cenote Park

Does anyone have any information on Maya Cenote Park or Cenote Maya Park? It is the cenote with zig-zag stairs about 30 minutes from Valladolid? I would like to go without a tour group because we will be staying in Valladolid but I cannot find any information. Is it still open? How much? Can we go without a tour?

Christina Lake...
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Maya Cenote Park

I haven't been since last year. But we went without a tour. Was good....but pretty commercialized. There is no way to do the cenote without doing the inclusive package. Was good though....You should consider San Ignatio in Cholocha, or Cuzama if your in that area!

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
2. Re: Maya Cenote Park

It is a beautiful cenote but ridiculously priced if all you want to do is swim. Frankly I still have no idea why my husband paid the 250 pesos each to swim...I think it was just because we were already there. It is a very prescribed experience. I have never also been obligated to be accompanied by a guide either, which is the case here. If all you want to do is pay the entrance fee, splash around at your leisure, and be left alone, there are plenty of places to do this but Cenote Maya is not one of them.

Monroe, Iowa
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Maya Cenote Park

We did end up taking a taxi from Valladolid, the taxi waited 3 hours and then took us back (400 pesos). It cost us around $90 for both of us and we got to rappel, zip-line, swim, a few free margaritas, buffet lunch, guide, etc. We had a lot of fun with it. Just depends what you are looking for! I would recommend it to anyone if they are in the area!

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
4. Re: Maya Cenote Park

Well, $90 for all that sounds pretty good! Unfortunately, this type of experience was definitely off my husband's radar...he was thinking "swim and leave" but if we had been better prepared, what you experienced would have been nice. I felt bad for our poor guide who apparently wasn't able to deviate from the script. He was from Tabasco and trying to "teach" a few words in Maya. But he was doing so to two native speakers of Maya!

5. Re: Maya Cenote Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2016, 11:47