We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hammocks

Hay River, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
71 reviews
Hammocks

I want to buy a good quality matrimonial (double) hammock, and I've heard that the ones made at/near the prison in Ebtun are great and very affordable. How far away is this from central Valladolid? Can we get a taxi there, and, if so, what do we tell the driver (where to go)??? We're not going until May, but just wondering...

Leanne

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
1. Re: Hammocks

Ebtun very close, two, three kilometers outside Valladolid.

Any cab driver would be happy to take you, but be aware of the following:

- Agree on the price in advance. It's good to know a little Spanish as many cabbies, if not most, understand limited English. I always bring a pen and pad of paper with me so I can write down the destination (my pronunciation is usually awful) and write down the quoted price. The other option is to select a cab driver that speaks English.

- The cabbie might try to convince you to shop elsewhere, offering to take you to a place where you can get "better" hamacas. Usually this means they are getting a cut of whatever you buy. Follow your instincts, but the Ebtun hamacas are well known for their high quality.

Have a great trip!

Hay River, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Hammocks

Thanks so much!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
164 reviews
3. Re: Hammocks

" I've heard that the ones made at/near the prison in Ebtun are great and very affordable"

The hammocks are great but the other depends on what you call affordable.

With hammocks, you get what you pay for and these are quality.

Hay River, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: Hammocks

Affordable, meaning less than I would pay in Canada, lol. I want quality and I'll pay a little more for it than the $30 ones you can get in Playa...not looking for cheap threads...I do need it to be able to support me! Lol

Thanks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
164 reviews
5. Re: Hammocks

Thats good. Some think they will get a good hammock for the 30 dollars they would pay in Playa. You will get quality in Ebtun. Also its possible to find good ones in Valladolid.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
157 reviews
6. Re: Hammocks

If in Merida, save the additional amount you will spend on getting to Ebtun. Shop at El Aguacate, on calle 58 in Merida, across from the red light district. This is where Yucatecans will shop for quality hammocks. I just bought some large matrimonial size hammocks of their best quallity for under $500 pesos a piece.

Hay River, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
71 reviews
7. Re: Hammocks

Thanks Robert & Bill!

I was figuring around the $50-80 mark, so that should be fine.

Leanne

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
164 reviews
8. Re: Hammocks

In my experience, thats about what it will take. Good luck in your shopping.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2 posts
61 reviews
9. Re: Hammocks

Thank you for this information. I saw those hamacs when I went to visit Chichen Itza last year and I was going to make my husband stop on our way to Merida in april. Now I can try in Merida though I was told those at the prison are the best around...

Edited: 11 February 2012, 06:37
10. Re: Hammocks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 June 2012, 16:35