We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
428 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Valladolid/Isla Holbox

We were in Merida three years ago and this time we'd like to stay in Valladolid so we can visit Ek Balam, cenotes and other things in this area. Are there any haciendas to visit nearby? Anything else we should see? We're thinking of 4/5 days in Valladolid then 4/5 days in Isla Holbox. I want to go to Rio Lagartos, and then snorkel with the whale sharks. Does 4/5 days in Valladolid seem like enough, or too much time?

Thanks!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Three days in Valladolid is enough, as far as I'm concerned. More than enough time to see the city and surrounding sites.

Have a great trip!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,208 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

I lived there for more than a year. That way too much. Three days would be about right.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Thanks!

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

In Valladolid, don't miss the Casa de los Venados, the private folk art collection and restored colonial home it is housed in. Also, plan a meal or two at La Taberna de los Frailes; excellent food from a very imaginative menu. Even the handmade artisan napkin holders are objects of art worth photographing.

EJ has mentioned the cenote SuyTun which I haven't been to but he says is worth a look, along with the others out at Dzitnup. Buy an ambroidered hankie or Barbie hipil from the little girls for 10 pesos each.

Head to Ebtun, on the highway to Merida but not far from Valladolid, where you will find a penitentiary and hammocks for sale made by inmates families on the side of the road. Excellent quality and good prices.

On the way to Ek Balam, stop in Temozon for smoked meat, which you can sample before purchasing from many roadside stands. Delicious!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Thanks, Bill, I've already taken down your suggestions from other posts (I start a Word doc and cut and paste info). The town with the smoked meat is high on our list! We might also be checking real estate while we're in town, so if you have any suggestions in that area, we'd appreciate that, too.

Anybody have any thoughts on Rio Lagartos?

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Unfortunately, no info on real estate in the area! Enjoy planning what will surely be a great trip!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Thanks, Bill. We're looking forward to it.

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
533 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Don't miss the Hacienda san Lorenzo Oxman a few miles out of Valladolid. They have a great cenote with a rope swing and a beautiful pool. I found out about it from Mexigo Tours on the street behind the cathedral.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!!!

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
533 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valladolid/Isla Holbox

There is also a distillery right outside of Valladolid that offers tours.It's an interesting process and almost always involves a few samples!