We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

Hampden...
Level Contributor
117 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

Anyone have any recent experience driving the free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid?

The toll road sounds kinda boring, and i would enjoy being able to stop if i wanted. How long does it take on the free road?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

you hang a west at the san francisco market just as you enter tulum

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,178 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

Really, if I were going to Valladolid on the free road, I wouldnt go all the way to Tulum. As others have mentioned, you can pick it up just south of the Cancun airport and you avoid the very congested Cancun to Tulum highway.

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Canberra
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

You have gotta be kidding yourself travelling this free raod. In September 2011 I was travelling into Cancun. Pulled over at Federal checkpoint - searched for guns and drugs and advised to watch myself as the State and Local Police are corrupt. Going throught the next town I noticed a local policeman talking to locals, her turned around and saw me. Would you believe it 5 miles out of town I was pulled over again for speeding 20 kilometees over the limit in the prior town. i was verbally given an on the spot fine of $400US. I advised the officer that I did not have the money only a small amount of Australian currency. I asked the officer for a ticket - he refused to issue. He wanted my passport and siad that I could collect it the next morning upon payment of the fine - I said no. After a little persuasion he accepted my Australian dollars and quickly sent me on my way. AGAIN travel at your OWN RISK - I will never do it again !

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Canberra
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

You have gotta be kidding yourself travelling this free raod. In September 2011 I was travelling into Cancun. Pulled over at Federal checkpoint - searched for guns and drugs and advised to watch myself as the State and Local Police are corrupt. Going throught the next town I noticed a local policeman talking to locals, her turned around and saw me. Would you believe it 5 miles out of town I was pulled over again for speeding 20 kilometees over the limit in the prior town. i was verbally given an on the spot fine of $400US. I advised the officer that I did not have the money only a small amount of Australian currency. I asked the officer for a ticket - he refused to issue. He wanted my passport and siad that I could collect it the next morning upon payment of the fine - I said no. After a little persuasion he accepted my Australian dollars and quickly sent me on my way. AGAIN travel at your OWN RISK - I will never do it again !

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

Interesting, Christina. Where were you traveling into Cancun from? What town was it you were pulled over near?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

I driven the road that passes Coba to and from Valladolid a number of times and it is a smooth run. But be sure to visit Coba. A spectacular site.

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,178 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

I wonder the same, Bill. I have driven that road more times than I can count and never even been searched at the checkpoints.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

I have had the car given a lookover but certainly never have I been the victim of extortion. Of course, these days, one never knows. But I would like some more details!!!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

I was trying to figure out where she was as well. 180 heading into Cancun? There's a checkpoint as I recall once you cross in Quintana Roo. My car was searched one time although going the other way into Yucatan. By "search" I mean the fellows at the checkpoint looked in the trunk and poked through stuff in the back seat.

As for police pulling over tourists and looking for a bribe, this is pretty typical once you get close to Cancun. If you obey the traffic laws, even the ridiculous speed limits (where you are forced to drive 25 kph and the locals whip by at 75 kph), you should be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Quintana Roo
Quintana Roo
Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
20. Re: Free road from Cancun airport to Valladolid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 15:47