We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
111 posts
25 reviews
Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

I enjoyed reading Patricia S's review of the tour but would like to hear from others. I have booked the tour in October. Wondering how much to tip - $20-$25?

11 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,704 posts
160 reviews
1. Re: Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

I live there and I have never done the tour but heard it is interesting.

If you were talking pesos for a tip likely not enough but if you were talking dollars way too much. If you really wanted to be generous you could give 100 pesos

St. Louis
Level Contributor
111 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

But this is a FREE tour. I have taken walking tours in other Mexican cities and the cost was usually around 20 to $25 us. And then a tip for the guide on top of that. So this amount would pay for both the tour and the tip.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

Paula C. - please let us know how your tour was when you get back! :) I will be in Valladolid for 3 nights in November, and am so glad I heard about this walking tour! It sounds great. I would like to know a better approximation for the tip as well. I hate not knowing if I'm tipping what's average, or too little, or too much, lol!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
111 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

Julia, I will do so!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
5. Re: Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

PaulaC, how was the tour?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
111 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

I really enjoyed the tour, but it was HOT (mid-October). I signed up for the tour on Facebook. We met our 2 tour guides in the central square at 10:00. They were easily identified by the large umbrellas they carried, which came in handy to shade the sun. My favorite part of the tour was the mercado, where I bought honey and vanilla. The tour ended at noon at the convent. My companion and I were the only 2 participants. We tipped them 300 pesos each, which I'm still not sure was enough!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
7. Re: Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

Thanks for the feedback Paula! I'm going to try to fit this into my schedule when I visit Valladolid at the end of November.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
8. Re: Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

I took the one that starts at 7 in the evening in front of the city hall. That was in English and Spanish at the same time, ie the guide says 3-4 sentences in Spanish and one in English. I could hardly understand anything. Being a tour guide back in my country, I know that this is a very unprofessional way to mix the 2 languages in the same tour.

Edited: 07 November 2018, 22:10
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

Thank you PaulaC! :) I'm really looking forward to doing it. I should be in Valladolid right now, actually, but I had to postpone my trip to the end of January because my dog got really sick. She's much better now, though, and this way I'll be there on my birthday, so it works out great! :D Do you have any other tips from your trip? I'd love to hear them! I'll look to see if you wrote a trip report.... :)

St. Louis
Level Contributor
111 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?

I keep meaning to write a trip report, will have to get on that soon!

Reply to: Anyone else done the Free Walking Tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted