We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the dark-Cancún to Valladolid.

dmd
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
238 posts
25 reviews
Driving in the dark—Cancún to Valladolid.

Hi All,

Our flight gets in to Cancun from Los Angeles at 3:15pm. We are going to Valladolid for 4 nights.

We will be renting a van, as there are 5 of us—2 parents and 3 adult children. I’m assuming it will be 4:00ish by the time we get our rental car. Is it safe to make that drive in the dark?

Alternatively, I could rent a hotel room and make the drive in the morning. I would certainly rather wake up in Valladolid than an airport hotel, but don’t want to put my family in danger. Los Angeles is 3 hours behind, so it will feel like noon when we arrive. We’re using Valladolid as our base for ruins and Cenotes but I’m not too optimistic my kids will be ready to drive early in the morning.

We plan to take the toll road. Concerned about being stopped by police, getting lost or hitting something in the road. We’re seasoned travelers and just love Mexico but I haven’t driven around the Yucatan since my college days.

Thanks for any and all opinions/help.

6 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,140 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: Driving in the dark—Cancún to Valladolid.

Many times I would advise against driving at night in Mexico. But in this case, I see no problems. A good toll road and really have never seen much police presence there. The further you get from Cancun, the safer you are, in my opinion. Be sure to have pesos for the tolls. They only accept cash in pesos. Be sure you have a full gas tank. No stations on the portion of the road.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Driving in the dark—Cancún to Valladolid.

I agree - that drive shouldn't be a problem at all.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Driving in the dark—Cancún to Valladolid.

I agree with the previous answers.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Driving in the dark—Cancún to Valladolid.

The drive is OK, but don’t count on getting on the road with your rental 45 minutes after you land. It could be closer to two hours by the time you clear immigration/customs and get through the rental process.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
5. Re: Driving in the dark—Cancún to Valladolid.

The only issue I would think of is fatigue-that road is BORING and dark. But with the time difference for you, I would actually think that going at night is a much better idea than early morning.

Metro...
Level Contributor
861 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: Driving in the dark—Cancún to Valladolid.

When are you arriving? In August the sun sets at about 7:30 PM. Valladolid and Cancun are currently in the same time zone, but in the fall, the State of Yucatan will go off Daylight Savings time. Then there will be a one hour time difference with Cancun. In December the sun sets at about 6 PM local time. I do not like the late afternoon drive from Cancun since you a heading into the setting sun. However, if you are on the toll road it is a fast, well maintained highway with little traffic.

Reply to: Driving in the dark—Cancún to Valladolid.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted