We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Izamal and Valladoid time and bus

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
322 posts
356 reviews
Izamal and Valladoid time and bus

I am in Merida now. Planning on visiting Izamal for 3 days the Valladoid for 3 then to Tulum coastal area for 3-4 days before flying out of Cancun. I assume bus service readily available? Want to practice my spanish and experience the culture. Any suggestions on time in each?

9 replies to this topic
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Izamal and Valladoid time and bus

Unless you are going to one of the resort-type lodges to relax, I would think one day would suffice for Izamal. It is quite small. On the other hand, it is a great base for visiting the cenotes in the area, of which there are many. But if you just intend to stay in town, then, well it's a fairly quiet, compact place. Valladolid is much more "cosmopolitan," with a lot of restaurants and cafes. It is also a good base for cenotes and Maya sites. There have been some recent trip reports posted that can give you a sense of what you can see in the area.

Unless i was doing day trips from Izamal, i would do a 1, 3 split with Valladolid.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Izamal and Valladoid time and bus

I agree with the poster above. Izamal is beautiful and a great place to spend a day but I don't think you necessarily need more, maybe one night if over a weekend so you can see the light show. Check out my recent blog post about it to gauge scale and need for visiting time: https:/…

There are plenty of cenotes in the area that could be visited but honestly, I'd spend more time in Merida before heading over to Valladolid and Izamal. There's so much to do on this side of the peninsula: https://mexicocassie.com/top-tips-visitors/

https:/…

https:/…

Feel free to ask questions if you have anything specific you want to know.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
322 posts
356 reviews
3. Re: Izamal and Valladoid time and bus

I am in Merida for 4 weeks. So not cutting it short here. I was thinking about bus ride to Izamal on Saturday then leave Monday AM. Is light show on Saturday? I assume the weekend there should provide more activity? Then Valladoid for maybe 5-7 days. My real question is where or if to spend 2-3 days on caribbean coast before flying out in Cancun. Want to skip playa de carmen and cancun due to density but sounds like all that coastline is touristy now. Would prefer a smaller beach town on that coast but unsure if that exist now?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,655 posts
159 reviews
4. Re: Izamal and Valladoid time and bus

Only small Beach town I can think of that I would recommend is Puerto Morelos.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Izamal and Valladoid time and bus

four weeks should, indeed, do it!

Tulum is stunning on the beach but very expensive and trendy now. I really love Bacalar but it may be too far south for you? Or you could try Mahahual or even Holbox for alternative but awesome destinations on the coast.

Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
6. Re: Izamal and Valladoid time and bus

Hi, I am looking at the opposite trip (from Valladolid to Izamal to then head to Merida). Are there any buses? I'm struggling to find info online and ADO doesn't seem to travel there

Jackson, Missouri
Level Contributor
639 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Izamal and Valladoid time and bus

Take the ferry to Cozume l and stay on the northend. Ditto on Bacalar, looks like the ocean but fresh water(lake of 7 colors).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,655 posts
159 reviews
8. Re: Izamal and Valladoid time and bus

"from Valladolid to Izamal to then head to Merida). Are there any buses? I'm struggling to find info online and ADO doesn't seem to travel there" ADO does have service between those points but only with their second class Oriente line. Second class schedules are not online so you will need to ask at the bus terminal. Dont let the second class name bother you. They are modern , air conditioned buses but with no assigned seats or restrooms.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Izamal and Valladoid time and bus

Go to facebook and search for "autobuses del centro". I posted yesterday and received a response today. Not sure if you will be able to see it.

If not send a message and you should get a reply. I used google translate to translate my message into spanish before posting and received a reply in spanish. Actually the reply included pictures of the schedules which appear to hang in both Izamal and Valladolid bus stations.

Edited: 04 December 2018, 04:10
Reply to: Izamal and Valladoid time and bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Valladolid
Recent Conversations