We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of spare days in Mexico!

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Couple of spare days in Mexico!

Hey everyone!

Myself and the hubby are currently doing two months travel through Central America (from Mexico to Colombia). We are currently in Valladolid - having arrived from Merida. Next stop is Tulum but we’ve a few days extra to spare in Mexico so wondering should we visit somewhere else en route to Tulum? Somewhere lively, with things to do. Or perhaps somewhere in Belize. We plan to head to Caye Caulker after Tulum, but maybe there’s somewhere we should use the days in between?

All suggestions welcome! :)

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
1. Re: Couple of spare days in Mexico!

"Lively?" Between Valladolid and Tulum? That's a word that's never been used for that area.

There are cenotes, Maya ruins, interesting churches, and more, but really nothing I would call lively.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Couple of spare days in Mexico!

You might want to head to Izamal, that is an interesting town. The ruins of Ek Balam are very close and worth seeing. You should stop by Coba on the way to Tulum as that is a very large Mayan ruin in a jungle setting. No such thing as a quick jaunt to Belize from where you are.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Couple of spare days in Mexico!

I also had a chuckle at the idea of "lively" for that area. Maybe check out the Punta Laguna reserve where you have a good chance of seeing monkeys.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Couple of spare days in Mexico!

On your way to Belize, after Tulum you could spend a night or two in Bacalar which has a beautiful multi-coloured fresh water lagoon. Check the pictures out, they are stunning. The town is not ‘lively’ per say, it is pretty sleepy, but definitely an interesting place

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Couple of spare days in Mexico!

I know my reply is too late for the original poster but in case others stumble on to this question as I did:

Izamal is stunning: https:/…

Holbox is beautiful and relaxing, Valladolid is peaceful. There are plenty of archaeological sites to explore and cenotes to jump in to. You won't be bored for one second in this part of Mexico but if we take 'lively' to mean Cancun then no, the rest of the peninsula is much sleepier!

https://www.mexicocassie.com will give you plenty of options for exploration.

Reply to: Couple of spare days in Mexico!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted