We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Mahahual

Minnesota
Level Contributor
309 posts
52 reviews
Getting to Mahahual

I am flying into Cancun and renting a car. I am going to drive to Tulum and spend the night so I don't end up driving at night. I will get up the following morning and drive to Mahahual. I am spending three days there and I will stop in Playa for a week on my way back to the airport. I am going to drop my rental car in Playa and take a taxi back to the airport.

Is there a better way to get to Mahahual? I can take the ADO but I am a diver and I will have two large suitcases full of equipment and clothes so that would be a hassle on the ADO bus.

The shuttle will cost $350 so that isn't an option. Can I fly to Chetumal and take a shuttle to Mahahual? Anyone know what that would cost?

Any other ideas?

39 replies to this topic
Stevens Point...
Level Contributor
347 posts
2 reviews
21. Re: Getting to Mahahual

I drove through there twice over the last ten days and no issues with the Policia. We actually drove through the pueblo both times, once because I missed the by-pass and again because it is a neat place and easy to drive through. Yes, it is remote and I also would not drive it at night. But was smooth sailing for us.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
22. Re: Getting to Mahahual

is the diving really good there? we need a short dive drip to ontro my son into it and it has to be on spring break! We do not want to go around PDC or Cozamel...thought I would try further south. we have been to belize 3 times w/o the kid. What is your take on the diving. Did you dive any cents up north?

TY

Amry

Stevens Point...
Level Contributor
347 posts
2 reviews
23. Re: Getting to Mahahual

I did not dive but the diving in this area is similar to Belize. Same reef, plus the Chinchorro Reef is 30 miles offshore. The snorkeling is fantastic but very little of it can be done right off shore. The best is accessed by boat. There are some dive shops in town that you can contact.

Comitan, Mexico
8 posts
1 review
24. Re: Getting to Mahahual

Actually the shuttle isn't a bus. It's a van. But they'll take your diving gear. In Mahahual you can find someone to haul you to your place. It'll end up cheaper and much less hassle than a car. I know it's heavy (I have diving gear too). But there's always a luggage guy around....

Comitan, Mexico
8 posts
1 review
25. Re: Getting to Mahahual

I just did some snorkeling there yesterday. The conditions weren't good but from what I did see I think the reef snorkeling would be very good. There's a place a bit south of town that charges $300 pesos per person for 2 hours. It was too crappy yesterday for them to take out a boat but I went off the beach in 3 places as I went south and was happy with all of them (once I got well out from the beach). I've dove and snorkeled all over the world for a couple of decades. I hear the Chinchorro Reef is fantastic but my ears don't let me dive anymore unfortunately.

Comitan, Mexico
8 posts
1 review
26. Re: Getting to Mahahual

To clarify. You say $350. You mean pesos (about $17 US). And when you say ADO I suppose you're talking about the shuttle which is what ADO uses. I don't understand why it's not an option compared to a car that will sit and gas and hassle... I just spent $70 US on gas from Chetumal to Mahahual (which is HOURS closer) round trip. Of course it was my pickup but still haven't you read about the gas shortage and price increases in Mexico?

Comitan, Mexico
8 posts
1 review
27. Re: Getting to Mahahual

Should have answered the actual question. The shuttle to Mahahual from Chetumal is $80 pesos. At least that's what they quoted me yesterday when I asked in Mahahual out of curiosity. That may have been actually into Chetumal but the airport is pretty much IN Chetumal. Though you might get the usual slightly higher price from the airport it's going to still be a lot cheaper. And it was late and perhaps he needed passengers. But at least it gives you an idea.

Austin, Texas...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
28. Re: Getting to Mahahual

Hi Kim, how much did it cost for your rental car? What about the insurance? Thank you in advance

Austin, Texas...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
29. Re: Getting to Mahahual

Great info. Thank you

Central Mexico and...
Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
30. Re: Getting to Mahahual

Hello everyone!

Does anybody know what time is the last bus or colectivo from Chetumal to Mahahual??...I arrive CTM at 8pm and I would like to go to Mahahual right after arrival, but not sure if there is a bus or colectivo after 8pm

I appreciate your help

Itzi

Reply to: Getting to Mahahual
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mahahual
Recent Conversations