We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mahahual/Bacalar/Caye Caulker

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mahahual/Bacalar/Caye Caulker

Hi everyone

I'm going to visit Mexico for the second time in May/June this year. I studied and travelled in Mexico during 2016 and 2017, and now I'm going back for a short visit approx. 3 weeks.

My plan is to dive once or twice, to do yoga, reading books, renting bikes/long walks, eating cheap and meeting new people. I will be travelling alone, so it would be nice to be around other people, however I'm used to travel solo and prefer some me-time as well away from the touristic places.

I will be flying to and from Cancun but will not stay there, so I'm looking for advice on a preliminary itinerary and nothing is decided yet.

Atm, I'm planning to start out in Mahahual to try something else than Tulum and Playa del Carmen, but I'm not sure whether its worth the visit? If so, I would love recommendations for hostels or things to do. How is the diving compared to Cozumel/Playa del Carmen?

After Mahahual, I'm going to Bacalar. I know most people suggest only 1 night in Bacalar, but I'm not afraid of silence and I'm planning on staying for at least 4-5 days. This is pretty settled for me, but I would love recommendations for Bacalar as well. Both for activities and hostels. Yoga would be a definite plus as well.

And then I'm going to Caye Caulker. I've already visited this small island before and I fell in love. I only went there because I had to renew my visa for Mexico, but 1 day ended up being 6 days.

I'm definitely going back.

This means that I'm planing on spending approx. a week in each location, but I'm open for other suggestions as well.

I'm still considering going to Cozumel for a dive, since I didn't have time the last time. Would Caye Caulker or Mahahual be just as good an option for a great dive?

(I'm not a very experienced diver.)

I'll try to keep my budget as low as possible and I will only travel with a backpack that is small enough to be carried as handlugage on the plane.

5 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mahahual/Bacalar/Caye Caulker

Mahahual is a cruise ship port, but by May/June, the Caribbean cruise season will be over so there will be few if any ships. Check the cruise ship schedules to confirm. It should be very quiet at that time of year, and I like the beach. I didn't dive at Mahaual, but friends say it is good, and there are several dive operators on the Melecon. There are a few ATMs at Mahaual, but none worked when I was there. Try to get down to Xcalak for even more peace & quiet.

There is (or was) a hostel at Mahahual called Fernando's. I didn't stay there but a friend did and said it was OK. It's located one street back from the Malecon.

At Bacalar, I don't want to make a hostel recommendation, but check out the Green Monkey and Casa China. There was one I heard not so good stories about but can't remember the name. Lots of water activities. Use the Mahahual-Chetumal colectivo to get from Mahahual to Bacalar and then to Chetumal (if that's the next stop). It's 80 pesos from Mahahual to Chetumal, so maybe 50 or so to Bacalar.

How are you getting to CC? By water taxi from Chetumal, or bus to Belize City, then water taxi?

If you have to spend a night at Chetumal, you might like the Museum of Maya Culture.

Edited: 09 January 2018, 21:36
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mahahual/Bacalar/Caye Caulker

We just got back from diving Cozumel four days, and one day to Chinchorro from Mahuhual. Last year we dove Caye Caulker. Everyone in our group agreed that Caye Caulker diving was superior. Mahuhual is a mixed bag. Definitely off the beaten path except for when the cruise ship people are about (nearly every day). It was a different world after sunset. We spent one night in Tulum and it seemed way calmer than Playa del Carmen. It might be the happy medium of having people around but also being able to get away. The beaches are definitely nicer than Mahuhual. Regarding Bacalar, we spent a day there swimming in the cenote and SUPing on the lake. It's pretty and there seem to be a few hostels. We rented SUPs from Green Frog hostel, which looked like a nice place. There is another one just up the road. They both offer sunrise SUP tours.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mahahual/Bacalar/Caye Caulker

I just spent a week in Mahahual! The only ATM is in the big Hotel Mahahual out by the Cruise port. I had plans to visit Xcalek and Bacalar but I enjoyed Mahahual so much I decided not to leave. It’s very small so driving is not nesesay. Our rental car sat for the entire week. We spent several days in Tulum, Playa and Cozumel as well. Diving on Cozumel was great! I recommend Chili Charters if you go to Coz. I love your trip plan! I have a similar plan on my travel bucket list! Have a great trip!

North Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
311 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mahahual/Bacalar/Caye Caulker

When the OP wrote:

Atm, I'm planning to start out in Mahahual to try something else

I think she meant "At The Moment"= ATM

but good to know about ATM locations too :)

Caribbean
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mahahual/Bacalar/Caye Caulker

That's what I assumed cbtx, but I was just providing general information about Mahahual.

Reply to: Mahahual/Bacalar/Caye Caulker
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mahahual
Recent Conversations