We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

Hi all, we are off on holiday on 23 August staying at the GBP Akumul. We have been to Mexico a few times and have done XelHa, Xplor etc and this time wanted to do a trip to Isla Mujeres. Can anyone tell me if I have to go into Cancun to get the ferry or can we get it from Playa del Carmen. Also, any prices, what to see, where to go etc will be very helpful. Thanks in advance...

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

No ferry from PDC. That ferry only goes to Cozumel.

It's quite a long drive from your resort which is 1 hour south of the airport, then maybe another 20 minutes in traffic to the port. Taxi would be quite expensive. There may be some all day catamaran trips offered from Puerto Aventuras marina, about 10 minutes north of your resort.

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

Thanks will have a look to see if I can find any from there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

Hello. We recently stayed at Grand Sirenis in Akumal and did a day trip to Isla Mujeres via catamaran. We got collectivo into PDC to book the trip but you can book online I believe. They picked us up from hotel and took us to Cancun then boarded catamaran. Journey out was a bit choppy but good fun with a stop for snorkelling. Stopped at a beach in Isla Mujeres where lunch was provided and had chance to use kayaks in sea then back on boat for a short cruise to the main town. Had about an hour to look around town then back on boat for a leisurely trip back under sail. Was a good day out, cost around £55 each all in which included unlimited drinks on catamaran and lunch in Isla Mujeres.

You don't get a huge amount of time on island but a bit of a taster.

Alternatively I think that you can make your own way to Cancun and hop on a ferry if you want to go at your own pace.

Hope this helps.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

I love Isla! I'm splitting my trip in half - half in Isla, then the 2nd half in Akumal. I think I'm just going to take a private transfer (USA Travels) from the ferry to Akumal since we'll have luggage. But in the past, we've taken the Ado bus from PDC to Cancun, then taxi ride over to the ferry at Puerto Juarez. It wasn't bad at all. The bus was actually quite comfortable. We didn't buy any of our tickets ahead of time. So I guess in your case, if you don't want to do the private transfer you can take the collectivo to PDC, then the Ado bus to Cancun, then the ferry. IMO, it's worth it.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

Roundtrip tickets on the Ultramar from Puerto Juarez north of Cancun to Isla are 146 pesos pp.

Best and cheapest are seldom the same. Best would be rent a car and park it at the ferry, or take a private transfer.

Cheapest would be colectivo to PDC, ADO to Cancun downtown, taxi from ADO to ferry dock.

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

Thank you for all your responses

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

I agree with 55vineyard (love that moniker btw). Really the ADO bus / taxi option is quite easy to do and comfortable too. Of course you will either need the local colectivo from Akumul to PDC to catch the ADO bus or a local taxi, and then certainly the taxi on the other end from the ADO Cancun terminal to the Ferry terminal. I did, and would not hesitate to take these methods of transportation again in a heartbeat.

!Se diviertan!

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

My sister stayed at a Riu Palace in Playacar. Bought a catamaran tour from the hotel tour desk. She had a "short bus ride to a marina with dolphin swim thing" (so I'm guessing to Puerto Aventuras), stops along the way to snorkel (Puerto Morelos?) then stops at Isla. Poke around for this full-day sail option if you don't get seasick. And probably pass if winds are from the north...very windy, cold, and huge waves.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,356 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

I've done it by

Private transfer - 90 minutes

Car rental - 105-120 minutes (I drive slower)

10. Re: Best way to get to Isla Mujeres from GBP Akumul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2017, 14:48