We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP - adults only resort or section

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Topic
GBP - adults only resort or section

Dear Friends;

We are looking to book a trip to this lovely area. Have been to GBP in Punta Cana (Ambar: adults only) and enjoyed the cleanliness, food and service. Would like to try this area with the same chain - is there an adults only option? If so, what has been the experience (recommend or stay with the family resort)? Our main priority is the beach.

Thank you, in advance.

PC

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
761 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP - adults only resort or section

PC. I don't know for sure but the Bahia Sian Kaan part of the GBP may be adults only but its well away from walking to the beach as its on west side of the coast highway with a private traffic bridge for the shuttle carts to drive you back and forth. The Coba, Tulum and Akumal areas of the GBP nearer the beaches are kids friendly. So there's lots of them around. We were at the Coba section. Sian Kaan has it's own exclusive area of the beach roped off by the Tulum section but the water was rougher there than the Coba beach area. These GBP beaches were not as nice in the water as over in the Sandos Playacar resort IMO. The GBPs beach sand was coarser and limited swim area due to EcoProtection by the reefs. More snorkel opportunity at GBP than Sandos if you prefer and which we enjoyed. I thought the lesser beach condition at GBP would be a downer to me but it wasn't too bad. Not a deal breaker IMO but your expectations may be different than ours of course. There was plenty of lounger chairs available on the beach at GBP. The erosion protection "whale" devices out in the water at GBP Coba are just a bit of an eyesore if you are looking for sightline views. Al

Edited: 27 May 2013, 01:51
Mentioned in this post
The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
The Sian Ka'an at Grand...
138 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Sandos Playacar Beach...
14,589 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP - adults only resort or section

....I did some further research and see that there are 3 resorts [Akumal, Coba and Tulum] that are ocean front. There is a 4th one called the Sian Kaan [Don Pablo Collection] which is adults only, but it is not beach front. Apparently, there is a shuttle that takes the guest across the street to a (?) private adults only beach. Interesting. We spend our vacation (day) on the beach and like long walks. I am just not warming up to the idea of a tram to take us to the beach. Is the adults beach area small for the number of guests? Hate that towel game.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
138 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP - adults only resort or section

Thank you, Al. That is very, very helpful.

Yes, those rubber whales are an eye-sore, but likely a necessary evil. Am really interested in exploring this region, but we really fell in love with the adults only concept. We are not "married" to the GBP chain, so are open to other suggestions. Will check out Sandos [friends went 2 years ago, but did not recommend it to us].

PC

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
761 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP - adults only resort or section

PC. We're beach bums too and don't do the poolside thing too much last couple vacations to Mexico. We don't do a lot of beach walking but there is lots of beach to walk at Playacar and the area front of the GBP properties. My knees don't like the sloped sand walking options too much at either place. But I was okay walking the property trails and roads. The Sandos Playacar resort had an adults only section on the resort but there was lots of kiddos around there too. The towel game is in play at both Sandos and GBP sorry to say but there always was some loungers to grab and pull into an open area on the beaches. It's tougher to get under one of the sun shade thingys at both. Although the adults only beach areas seemed to have available unreserved loungers all times from what I recall. But I wasn't monitoring actively.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
427 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Sandos Playacar Beach...
14,589 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
761 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP - adults only resort or section

Oh yeah PC. We enjoyed the GBP properties more than the Sandos. The GBP resort complex is huge if you don't mind that. The Sandos seems confined in relation but we would still visit Sandos again as well in a pinch. Al

wickly
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GBP - adults only resort or section

The GBP is a huge resort, so even many of the buildings in the Akumal or Tulum section are not right on the beach. But, they have a very efficient system of trolleys that continuously circulate the resort and will take you right to the beach and back...never had more than a 10 minute wait.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GBP - adults only resort or section

FYI Coba is not on the Beach, only Akumal and Tulum.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GBP - adults only resort or section

Coba is about a 5-7 minute walk to the beach dependent on which villa you are in. In Tulum most of the villas are ocean view. Akumal has 3 villas that are ocean front, they are in the Premier/Golden section. If you like to walk you will love this resort. We are also beach people & walked the 5-7 mins from Coba to the beach & back every day. Took the short route to get to the beach & a longer route back. Sian Kaan has its own beach area with chair bar service. I do not think that you need to worry about chairs there but the beach area to me is small. We always sit in the Coba section or in front of the 3 ocean front villas in Akumal. We walk all over the resort & have never taken a tram. it is a nice 20 minute walk from Coba to the lobby in Tulum which is the furthest.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 20:09
Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
138 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
windsor
Level Contributor
277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GBP - adults only resort or section

If you stayed at the Ambar in the DR I would highly recommend the Sian Ka'an. Yes it is far away from the beach but the tram only takes 5-7 minutes to get to the beach. We also loved walking and we would walk all over the beach and different sections of the hotels. The SK is gorgeous, IMO it was even better then the Ambar other then beach proximity, since Ambar is right at the beach. This trip we stayed at both the Coba and then the SK and while the Coba was fantastic there just is no comparison to the rooms at the SK. We had a garden Jacuzzi suite and it was just gorgeous, IMO it is totally worth the trek to the beach. The resort itself is a little quiet for us so we spent a lot of time at the other hotel lobbies in the evenings but one of the nights they (SK) had dance music playing and it was fun!! The buffet is the best at SK, the spring rolls were amazing and the food was very very good. The grounds are beautiful, they cut the resort right into the jungle so I found it was very lush and had a more tropical feel to it like when walking through the pathways you are completely surrounded by lush green jungle, although the grounds over at Coba Tulum and Akumal were also spectacular. Also if you are a pool person who likes activities there is not a lot of this on the SK side, but again thats an easy fix by hopping on the tram and going to another pool. The beauty and class of the rooms and hotel completely make up for the distance to the beach!! Happy travels :)

Mentioned in this post
138 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
P C