We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP Sian Ka'an Peso Exchange

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
246 posts
8 reviews
GBP Sian Ka'an Peso Exchange

Hi everyone,

Can someone please tell me do they do a Peso exchange at the front desk at Sian Ka'an or do you have to go across to the Hacienda?

Just got back from Playa last week. They had a great rate at our front desk. Certainly don't want to stop inside the airport! ha ha (keep walking....make no eye contact!)

Rob are you out there?

Thanks!!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,974 posts
1. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an Peso Exchange

any reason you don't want to use ATMs (best rate)

But great ? if this section has their own ATM

Front desks at all the Bahia desks (should not be different at each one was 12 to 1 last month )

ATMs wil give closer to 14 to 1 - use the Hacienda

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
246 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an Peso Exchange

Thanks Vancouversundog!!

That was what I needed to know.

I learned a long time ago to pay for all goods and services in pesos. We want to pay for our golf in pesos this coming trip. Saved myself $25 USD last week paying for golf in pesos!!!!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an Peso Exchange

I'm here :-)

All of the GBP lobbies (including the Sian Kaan) give the same exchange rate, and it isn't that great. As VSD says, the Hacienda ATM gives a really good rate, and I've heard that the Scotiabank ATMs in Tulum and PDC are quite good as well. The rate I got at of the Hacienda ATM was better than the exchange rate I got here in Canada before I left. Next time I'm going to rely on the ATMs for most of my pesos.

- Rob

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,974 posts
4. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an Peso Exchange

Good to see Rob is there - thanks guy

So does Sian Kaan at Bahia have a peso only ATM?? - I assume not based on Bahia's other sections - too bad - poor customer service imho

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an Peso Exchange

When I was at the resort there weren't any ATMs at the Sian Kaan at all (dollar or peso). Since then they've been incorporating the Golf Club more into their operations. Maybe there's an ATM there, I have no idea.

Having to go to the ATM at the Hacienda is a very small irritant, IMO, as I only have to get more money once a week or so and often end up at the Hacienda for shopping or to catch a Collectivo anyway. More of an irritant is when the front desk runs out of change to break the larger peso bills into smaller ones for tipping. Fortunately that has only happened to me once at the Sian Kaan - they seem pretty good at keeping lots of change.

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
1 review
6. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an Peso Exchange

Just to clarify the ATM at Sian Kaan is around the corner from the buffet restaurant. There are also phones to call back home there as well. Don't remember if the are Pesos or Dollars as we disd not use that one. Have a great holiday Rob.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
246 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an Peso Exchange

Rob and Vancouversundog, You guys are awesome!!!!!!! Thanks to you too Karl!

I've used the scotiabank in Tulum and PDC with no problems whatsoever. My mom had quite a LARGE charge from her bank here in the states from using an atm in a hotel in PDC several years back. Since then I've only used Scotia. Never had any problems with my debit card.....it got quite a run in Playa last week...walmart, a sporting goods store, a little boutique we know pretty well. Other than that paying in Pesos always seems to be the best way.

Maybe it's you Canadian men who don't get charged at the atm? My husband to be is Canadian......I'll use his bank card to get all of my pesos out of the atm!!! ha ha

Thanks again! Canadian me do ROCK!

8. Re: GBP Sian Ka'an Peso Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 10:16