We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

London,
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

Returning to GBP Tulum in a few weeks. We love it there.

A couple of recent reviews have worried me a bit. Without going into the rights/wrongs of whether GBP should be building their dolphinarium, I'm a little worried about the construction work - can anyone specify exactly where it is taking place? I have seen that it's up near the high villa nos, I am in a very low villa. Is the beach and ocean still accessible through both Tulum pool areas?

I've also noted more frequent mentions of water shoes being essential. Although my experience was that there were some rocky areas, I previously found easy access to the water a few paces either side of the rocks. Has something changed? I am having visions of them clearing the construction area beach by dumping all the rocks onto the beach between the two Tulum pools!

Sorry if I come across as incredibly fussy, I am travelling with my son who has mobility problems but has always found Tulum beach very accessible. He will be greatly disappointed if his beach/sea access is complicated this trip.

Ontario
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
1. Re: GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

Just got back from BP Coba yesterday.

The dolphinarium ( confirmed by who I asked) is being built between the Tortuga restaurant and the dive shop. There are a few villas beside the construction. The beach is still accessible fromc all the pool areas.

There are still areas where beach shoes are not needed.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,971 posts
2. Re: GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

Talked to the golf info person in Akumal lobby and they are saying 'separate section for the golf course condo owners';

will keep asking

London,
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

Thank you very much [sighs in relief].

I do find the dolphinarium an odd decision but I am not a professional in the tourist trade at all!

And I had often looked at the golf condos over the highway and thought there's not much point being here if you're that far from the beach...but I am not a golf enthusiast at all!

Now I just need to make sure the bacon is still as crispy as ever at the breakfast buffet then dear son will be in heaven.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

I was told by a senior management type that it is a salt water pool. This person would have no reason to lie to me.

So, maybe, it's a pool for the golf condo owners ?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

I think it is a salt water pool being made in anticipation of my return (with all my friends of course) in April - think it will be done by then?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

RubyQ,

Since learning of your pending return they have been working night and day to get it done by April.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

I knew that is what the surprise was! Can I do a cannon ball from don Pablo into the new pool?

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

If they decide to substitute the dolphinarium by the salt water pool, I would consider going there in the future...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

Oh yes Ruby the pool is for US!!! hihi

10. Re: GBP Tulum beach & the contruction work - update pl?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2011, 09:48