We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

Many people like a glass of wine with their lunch or dinner. What is served at Bahia Principe specifically is not very good at all! Seems like getting a nice glass of wine isn't easy to find at Bahia or for that matter at most All Inclusive Hotels whether in Mexico or in Caribbean Islands! Many hotels, like the Bahia Principe offer many top shelf imported liquors BUT WHY no decent wine? I realize you can pay a premium and order a better quality wine at a-la-cartes but my question is WHY? The nicer Chilean, Italian or even North American wines are available to them at reasonable costs and per serving no more than better top shelf liquors. How about if they only served better quality wines at all A-La-Cartes?

We buy a couple bottles of decent red wine at the duty free before leaving home and bring it with us to the hotel. The Bahia has no problem with you bringing your own wine with you to A-La-Carte Restaurans and no extra cost to you.

Also, you can buy nice red wine in Playa Del Carmen at decent prices when you visit PDC for shopping.

Wine has gained alot in popularity and I think needs to be addressed re: Better Quality!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

They have a great wine list at the a la cartes, you're free to choose a wine that suites you. The prices seem quite reasonable.

Do you bring your own bottles of wine when you dine out in your own city at home?

It seems like a bit of a hassle to me, but to each his own.

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

I've had some good wines out of a bottle at Bahia a la carte restaurants, the stuff at the regular bars that they have "on tap" is just barely drinkable. Not the worst I've had at an AI, though. I got a good bottle of a Chilean red last time, so this time I am surely going to bring along some bottle stoppers to save what little might be left while I'm there. Good wine vs. lousy wine makes a big difference sometimes. IMO of course.

"To each his own"? Wow, what a revelation. Glad someone pointed that out.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

I'm glad it makes you feel "bigger" to belittle other people. It says a lot about you.

Some people enjoy the house wine that's available at the buffets and a la carte restaurants. I find the "sparkling wine" to be quite good, personally.

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

There is no choice of red or white on tap, it's just "red" or "white" on tap, unless you pony up for a bottle. At a restaurant at home I can get a glass of cabernet, shiraz, merlot, etc. not just "red", not just "white".

"Do you bring your own bottles of wine when you dine out in your own city at home?"

THAT sounds belittling to me, and has nothing to do with what the poster was posting. Lay off if you can't take what you dish out please.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

Not belittling at all, simply asking a question. Do YOU bring your own wine when you dine out at restaurants at home? We never do, but perhaps other people do, maybe it's something people in other cities do.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

Yes, sometimes when we go places with my parents for dinner, they bring in a bottle of their own wine. My dad is a wine collector so wine is very important to us.

As for why they can't give good wine? I've done this math before. Let's just look at a standard $15 bottle of drinkable wine....it serves 4 glasses. Let's look at a standard bottle of drinkable vodka (say Absolut) it serves 30-40 drinks (shots)....

The cost of wine per drink is MUCH MUCH MUCH higher than hard liquor. Hence the crappy wine.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

My husband and I have also been known to bring in champagne with us to restaurants. When we lived in Chicago lots of restaurants allowed it with a 5.00 corking fee or whatever.

As for bringing your own- yes, I looked into it for Mexico. They basically allow something like roughly 1.5 bottles of wine per person. If wine is your thing, I would suggest the 2 of your packing 3 bottles to bring with and if you need more, buy it there. It's a small price to have a good AI experience :)

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

Well there you go, some people DO bring their own wine. I'm sure that cervezatime is a vintage wine collector as well, it has nothing to do with being cheap.

They most likely serve what ever wine they can get at a reasonable cost per glass. Many people do seem to enjoy it, including me. To each their own, or IMHO. Which ever way you want to say it.

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

My apologies, SIMP, if that was a legitimate question! I live in Virginia, wine is a big deal here, and yes, some restaurants let you do that if they do not have their liquor license. You can bring a bottle in to eat with your meal and they can charge a fee to uncork and pour it for you. It get tricky when you haven't finished your bottle because in most jurisdictions there is an open container law (illegal) so you can't just walk around with a half empty bottle of anything.

That is NOT an issue in Mexico, though!

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine at Bahia--A Good Tip!

Wine out of a bottle is also available at the Lobby Bars at the Bahia, all you have to do is walk up and ask. Also what contstitutes better wine? Bigger price ticket per bottle? A familiar name brand? For the price that the Bahia charge I believe they do a pretty good job of satisfying MOST needs of their clientel.