We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,996 posts
Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

The old thread on the section differences (top questions) was getting old so I thought a new thread was needed

Here is a description

TULUM section - older (1998) original section built parallel to the sea.

- Guests (family / all ages) at this section can use ALL the facilities at this and the COBA section

- map is resortsmaps.com/map-GranBahiaPrincipeTulum-R…

- 90% oceanview standard rooms, 10% jr suites.

- New bldgs./villas are also build on the "garden" side - the 300 series rooms

- Restaurants except Don Pablo are oceanview and open air

- Don Pablo is interior (between front desk and buffet) and air conditioned.

- Restaurants located from farthest northern point (Tequila) to farthest southern point (La Gran Torguga). Very manicured and well kept grounds. As it is built along the sea this appears to be the largest section - room wise it is not.

- The pool /pool bar at the north end is now restricted to special timeshare guests (was the Diamond / Hacienda upgrade option)

- Tulum section has a small dolphin pool (sigh) - alas - it breaks many if not all international recommendations for captivity dolphins

Akumal - (2001)

- Map https:/…A

- more compact with 95% jr suites, 5% standard rooms and 8% oceanview or oceanfront.

- new Adult only section built - blgs 82&83 with new Infinity pool / restaurant / private beach palapa area

- Akumal section was recently (2016) upgraded/renovated to Don Pablo status (better food/drinks).

- Akumal guests can visit all sections in the Bahia resort (adults only areas restricted to ADULTS) - Tulum and Coba guests CANNOT use this section

- Restaurants more centrally located to each other (La Dolce and Pescador side by side @ pool side) Arlequin close to the buffet. Water a bit calmer in front of Akumal section including a small bay type area which attracts families with small children.

Coba - (2005) built between Akumal and hwy 307

- This is the largest section by room count but more compact than Tulum.

- All rooms jr suites - no oceanviews as Coba is completely "land locked" and has the kids water pool and kids program building - thus more of a family oriented section

- there are family rooms (2 connected rooms) that can be rented

- Restaurants / Buffets are air conditioned. Due to lack of proximity to the beach this section tends to price less than the other two. As a result you MAY find more families in Coba -dependent upon the time period of your stay.

The SIAN KAAN section was just built in 2012 and is across the hwy near the golf course. It has upgraded drinks / special buffet / alacartes that are only available to Sian Kaan guests or those other section guests that have 6+ visits. Sian Kaan guests has a reserved section on the beach

- Guests (family / all ages) at this section can use ALL the facilities at this and the Tulum section

SIAN KAAN section - (20123)

- Map is https:/…

- Built in 2012 and is across the hwy near the golf course. It has upgraded drinks / special buffet / alacartes that are only available to Sian Kaan guests or Akumal adults - Tulum and Coba guests CANNOT use this section

- Sian Kaan guests has a reserved section on the beach next to Akumal section

- Sian Kaan guests can visit all sections in the Bahia resort

- Bars are outside but buffet and restaurants are closed and have A/C and very high end food (Maiko, Alux)

- Four different room types from small to large roof top Jacuzzi style rooms

All guests get free

- golf at this time but must pay for the golf cart

- Free access to the discotheque at “Hacienda Doña Isabel” with local drinks and soft drinks included

More info on each section can be found in top questions

19 replies to this topic
Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
200 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

Thank you for the great summary. Can you clarify "The pool /pool bar at the north end is now restricted to special timeshare guests (was the Diamond / Hacienda upgrade option)" is this for privilege club members? And when did this begin?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,996 posts
2. Re: Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

Others reported, the upgrade to the Diamond/Hacienda in the Tulum is no longer available and the Privilege Club has use of this pool

Let me know if I am wrong!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
11,091 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

Great information VSD as usual ☀

Edited: 18 September 2017, 17:52
notts
Level Contributor
195 posts
4. Re: Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

Hmmm. This may have just steered my holiday choice away from the gbp. We stayed in the tulum section in 2011 and had access to all 3 resorts. Akumal tulum and coba which was the newest. I planned on going here again and taking my children but it would be staying in coba. Knowing the beach area at akumal was probably the only bit really suitable for children and snorkelling and now knowing we couldnt use that section has thrown a massive curveball in. So thank you for the post. I am glad i read this before booking.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,996 posts
5. Re: Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

Bump for a recent poster

1 post
6. Re: Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

I'm wondering if you know if the privilege club members have access to the other resorts or just to coba if we are sta?iying at Tulum? I'm specifically wondering about the buffets at Akumal and Sian K'aan

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,996 posts
7. Re: Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

Great question

My understanding is that Privilege Club guests get:

Every day à la carte, members lobby, premium booze, restricted members beach. free safe (that's $$ right there), access to all sites/sections in the bigger resorts, you can call a cart to come get you versus taking shuttle on big resorts...

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
200 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

Privilege members also get discounts in hotel lobby shops, tour discounts and yes we can use any part of the resort. The private beach with servers who serve you on the beach is lovely and wasn't ever full. It was nice to have the space.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
146 posts
109 reviews
9. Re: Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

If you are staying at Coba can you use the loungers on the beach section in front of the quiet bay (between the pier and the rock jetty)?

That used to be Playa Coba and was our favorite for many years.

It would be nice to see a "beach map" showing designations and restrictions for each beach section. If anyone knows of one, please post it.

Thanks

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections

All of that area is now Luxury Sian Kaan adult only.

Coba and Tulum guests have everything north of the condos and dive shop.

Reply to: Bahia resort - the differences in all the sections
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted