The old thread on the section differences (top questions) was getting old so I thought a new thread was needed
Here is a description
TULUM section - older (1998) original section built parallel to the sea.
- Guests (family / all ages) at this section can use ALL the facilities at this and the COBA section
- 90% oceanview standard rooms, 10% jr suites.
- New bldgs./villas are also build on the "garden" side - the 300 series rooms
- Restaurants except Don Pablo are oceanview and open air
- Don Pablo is interior (between front desk and buffet) and air conditioned.
- Restaurants located from farthest northern point (Tequila) to farthest southern point (La Gran Torguga). Very manicured and well kept grounds. As it is built along the sea this appears to be the largest section - room wise it is not.
- The pool /pool bar at the north end is now restricted to special timeshare guests (was the Diamond / Hacienda upgrade option)
- Tulum section has a small dolphin pool (sigh) - alas - it breaks many if not all international recommendations for captivity dolphins
Akumal - (2001)
- Map https:/…A
- more compact with 95% jr suites, 5% standard rooms and 8% oceanview or oceanfront.
- new Adult only section built - blgs 82&83 with new Infinity pool / restaurant / private beach palapa area
- Akumal section was recently (2016) upgraded/renovated to Don Pablo status (better food/drinks).
- Akumal guests can visit all sections in the Bahia resort (adults only areas restricted to ADULTS) - Tulum and Coba guests CANNOT use this section
- Restaurants more centrally located to each other (La Dolce and Pescador side by side @ pool side) Arlequin close to the buffet. Water a bit calmer in front of Akumal section including a small bay type area which attracts families with small children.
Coba - (2005) built between Akumal and hwy 307
- This is the largest section by room count but more compact than Tulum.
- All rooms jr suites - no oceanviews as Coba is completely "land locked" and has the kids water pool and kids program building - thus more of a family oriented section
- there are family rooms (2 connected rooms) that can be rented
- Restaurants / Buffets are air conditioned. Due to lack of proximity to the beach this section tends to price less than the other two. As a result you MAY find more families in Coba -dependent upon the time period of your stay.
The SIAN KAAN section was just built in 2012 and is across the hwy near the golf course. It has upgraded drinks / special buffet / alacartes that are only available to Sian Kaan guests or those other section guests that have 6+ visits. Sian Kaan guests has a reserved section on the beach
- Guests (family / all ages) at this section can use ALL the facilities at this and the Tulum section
SIAN KAAN section - (20123)
- Map is https:/…
- Built in 2012 and is across the hwy near the golf course. It has upgraded drinks / special buffet / alacartes that are only available to Sian Kaan guests or Akumal adults - Tulum and Coba guests CANNOT use this section
- Sian Kaan guests has a reserved section on the beach next to Akumal section
- Sian Kaan guests can visit all sections in the Bahia resort
- Bars are outside but buffet and restaurants are closed and have A/C and very high end food (Maiko, Alux)
- Four different room types from small to large roof top Jacuzzi style rooms
All guests get free
- golf at this time but must pay for the golf cart
- Free access to the discotheque at “Hacienda Doña Isabel” with local drinks and soft drinks included
More info on each section can be found in top questions