We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

Hi,

I'm a solo traveler needing advice for the cheapest and safest way to get from the airport to the Iberostar Hotel in Punta Mita. I've taken a bus to Sayulita before. Would a taxi be best to to my Punta Miya Hotel?

Mentioned in this post
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
14 replies to this topic
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,653 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

It's a long drive. Cab prices are set at Airport. rates are listed, see Top Questions, link to Cost of Taxi. North Zone 4.

You could try crossing freeway overpass, and getting Local cab, but lately there has been mentioned a Supervisor charging more! Bus stop, would be right there to get bus with Punta Mita on front. That is if you have no large Suitcase...!!!

Not sure about return !! Or stop or how far from drop off.

If you do a Search,,other posts will show. Or Read some reviews,, or Ask a Question in the REVIEW Section,others may answer there,who don't find the Forum..

Mentioned in this post
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
7 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

I just read a review and they took the bus for approx 30 pesos or so one way. It's a post more recent than yours so give it a look. Enjoy.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,213 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

Good on you ScottsdaleReviewer. The OP's original post were almost conflicting requirements: "cheapest and safest..... would a taxi be best to Punta Miya (sic) hotel"?? Although I have no issues with bus travel in Mexico and I find it quite safe for me, there are reports of the occasional pickpocket episodes. I think this is more common on city buses vs. destination buses, per se. Certainly the bus is by far the most economical option to Punta Mita, bar none. And at 30 Mxn pesos, it is right at a buck-fifty one way. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13,022 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

The only problem with taking the bus is that you are going to Iberostar so I'm 99% sure you have to take the Higuera Blanca bus not the Punta Mita bus. Same line though. ATM. They appear to be pretty frequent during the day, but not sure how late they run. If you do take a cab cross the bridge at the airport.

The best place to ask questions about Iberostar Playa Mita is on Facebook. Their page is Iberostar Playa Mita Visitors.

Mentioned in this post
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
3,456 Reviews
Punta de Mita, Mexico
Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

Does anyone know what the cost of a taxi would be if we leave the airport area and then catch one to Punta Mita?

Mentioned in this post
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

In October the approved and posted rate was 900 pesos for the airport taxis. Coming back from Iberostar the rate was 650 pesos - pretty standard that the return rate is less than the rate out of the airport. If you are into "crossing the pedestrian bridge" at the airport, I suspect the taxis there will be closer to the 650 peso rate. If you have a lot of luggage, crossing the bridge for either a cab or the bus may not be practical for you.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

Can I learn more about "crossing" this bridge? I've traveled Cozumel and we leave airport property to catch taxis so I'm familiar with the concept- just looking for instructions 😆

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Long Beach, ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

I️ now this is too late but I️ just did it and was worried about it. Long story short I️ had to take public transit to Iberostar from PVR airport alone. It is VERY possible and so much cheaper than a shuttle, 3.50$ to be exact. When you arrive there will be a ton of guys trying to sell you tours. Walk right past them. There is an information kiosk in the entrance of the airport. Just ask a security guard where that is once you walk out of the lions den or guys trying to sell you tours. They will direct you to where the buses are. Basically make a left out of the airport, make a left at the building corner and then cross the bridge. The buses come right at the base of this bridge and they have outside tenders. Just tel them where you’re going and they’ll tell you what bus to take. Big bags won’t work, I️ was on with a carry on, told the bus where I️ was going and was fine. So we arrived at this corner after about an hour in the middle of nowhere and he said get off here and Iberostar was about a 45 minutes walk. i was worried but just kept walking. Then after about 5 minutes of walking another bus picked me up for 10 more pesos and dropped me right in front. Apparently there is a direct bus from Iberostar to the airport. i just hitched a ride with a shuttle already going for 20$. But the bus is super cheap an more interesting than a fancy shuttle. I️ highly recommend it. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13,022 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

Hey gcarfan1: What great info! I am sure this will help lots of people. Many people wonder how to get to Iberostar by public transit.

I just wanted to add that, another time you could probably take a bus directly across from the airport where you got the first bus. You want a bus that goes to Higuera Blanca pronounced “EE gaira blanca” (the second bus that picked you up and took you the rest of the way for 10 pesos)

Blue Springs...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita

Hi Caseyeroslib: I am actually traveling to Iberostar Playa Mita in December, 2017. It sounds like you know a lot about the public transit there. I am looking to take the public bus to the Iberostar resort. You mentioned taking the Higuera Blanca bus; can you tell me exactly how to get to get to this particular bus from the airport? Do you know if it will bring me directly to the front of the resort, or will I have to get off and walk a distance?

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
3,456 Reviews
Punta de Mita, Mexico
Reply to: Transport from Puerto Vallarta airport to Punta Mita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted