We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety at Mexican Border?

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Safety at Mexican Border?

My son is planning on visiting a friend in Ciudad Victoria this summer. The friends's family plan on picking him up at the McAllen, Texas airport and crossing back over to Mexico driving back to their home in Ciudad Victoria.

I am concerned about how safe it is at the border and driving on the roads to Ciudad Victoria.

I would appreciate any input you have.

Thanks in advance!!

snjhm
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety at Mexican Border?

My husband is currently living in Reynosa which is the border town there at McAllen and I go once a month alone to visit and never have any problems crossing. If anyone would it should be a alone caucasion woman, I have heard rumors but have not encountered any problems and the driving conditions are not that bad once you are out of the city as long as you know the language and where you are going. I understand that you are a parent but wouldnt be too worried.

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety at Mexican Border?

snjhm:

Thanks so much for your reply!! It is appreciated.

Is a Certified Birth Certificate and I.D. with a Photo all the documents you need to get back and forth? I have heard they are working on some sort of card, but that won't be until October. Is that correct?

Thanks again!!

San Antonio
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety at Mexican Border?

I am a 33 yr old woman and lived in Reynosa,Mexico for a year and nothing ever happened to me. I worked in Mcallen and crossed the intenational bridge on a daily basis. It is very hot in the summer and I am talking about 115 degree weather. I know the news says to be careful but as long as he stays out of trouble he will be fine.

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety at Mexican Border?

Thanks, Angel for sharing your experience.

Wow, 115 degrees certainly is Hot!!!! When are the cool months anyway????

What paperwork did you have to show in crossing back and forth?

T

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,054 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety at Mexican Border?

At all border crossings, required identification is a passport OR a combination of a government-issued id plus a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship such as a voters id card. No chnage is planned in the requirements before June 2009.

If your son is going to be with a Mexican family, they know what and where is safe. I would not worry.

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety at Mexican Border?

Thanks, BobBear for your input.

Is a Certified Birth Certificate and Driver's License sufficient? T

7. Re: Safety at Mexican Border?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 14:51
Get answers to your questions about Reynosa