We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip Wilmington to Bryson City

Bristol, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Road trip Wilmington to Bryson City

We are planning a road trip from/to Atlanta this November and aim to stop at:

Savannah

Charleston

Wilmington (via Myrtle beach)

Bryson City

Blue ridge

Then back to Atlanta for Thanksgiving with our son and daughter in law.

We need to make a stop between Wilmington and Bryson but prefer not to stop at large cities such as Charlotte or Ashville.

We would appreciate any suggestions/advice on a quiet, scenic location somewhere in between. Or maybe you think the cities are worth a visit?

We look forward to your comments and replies.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip Wilmington to Bryson City

I'd suggest Lake Lure: http://www.lakelure.com/

It's on US 74, about 5 hours by car from Wilmington.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,753 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip Wilmington to Bryson City

Asheville is every bit as much worth a stop as Wilmington, Charleston or Savannah or Bryson City. Personally, I wouldn't say the same about Charlotte, but I know there are a lot of folks who feel the Queen City has a lot to offer. Charlotte would be midway on your trip, though. You could go up thru Hickory. Not a lot there, but you're in the foothills and can start to see the mountains.

Lake Lure, Hendersonville and Flat Rock all have things to recommend them, but they're fairly close to Bryson City. You could do the whole thing in one day. It's about 6-7 hrs. How long do you want to drive?

Bristol, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip Wilmington to Bryson City

Thanks for your comments.

I guess 7 hours would be the longest we'd want to drive for.

We are coming from the UK so know very little about the area.

Are there any scenic places around Asheville? Mountains, lakes etc?

We'd quite like to be somewheer where we can walk in the mountains for a few hours.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,753 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip Wilmington to Bryson City

Asheville is a top tourist destination right in the mountains. It's a beautiful small to mid-sized city. Just google it. Or you might check out the Asheville forum here. Tons of info here on TA.

Just click that blue link above.

Edited: 08 September 2011, 17:28
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,753 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip Wilmington to Bryson City

So, just to give you a little heads up, you might want to go to google maps and click the "terrain" option to see the topography of North Carolina, or check out Google Earth. Wilmington, of course is coastal, but the coastal plain (pretty flat, lots of pines, may see some cotton, right much farm land on your route) extends over the eastern third of the state to about Wadesboro on your route and then you enter the piedmont which includes Charlotte on your way. The piedmont has a mix of pines and hardwoods and has more slightly rolling terrain. The mountains begin just west of Hickory and if you look at a topo map you can see that Asheville is nestled right in the middle of the mountains. Our top tourist destinations are the beaches and the mountains. The part in between really just does not have top tourist attractions. There are many historic sites and places of interest/things to do, but few people go to Charlotte, or Greensboro, or Raleigh to spend a week's vacation. Those are the places to work and raise a family.

All this is to say, if it was me, I'd drive from Wilmington to Asheville and spend the night there. Lake Lure is a nice choice, too, but I'd prefer Asheville. There are more fantastic restaurants in Asheville and more things to do.

6. Re: Road trip Wilmington to Bryson City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 05:47