We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilmington vs. Chapel Hill vs. Greensboro

new jersey
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Topic
Wilmington vs. Chapel Hill vs. Greensboro

I wlll be traveling to North Carolina the week of April 18th to visit several colleges with my family (two teenage girls) We will be looking in Wilmington, Chapel Hill, and the Greensboro/High Point area. We only have one night currently scheduled for Wilmington, then travel to Chapel Hill for two nights, and on to Greensboro for two possibly three nights. We have never been to the area and have some flexiblity with overnights. I want my daughter to get a feel for the towns as this may play into her decisions. Any suggestions on changing any of these plans would be appreciated as other recommendations for things to do and see. Thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilmington vs. Chapel Hill vs. Greensboro

I think it's a great idea to try to get a feel of the community surrounding the universities. If it were me, though I'd add a night or so to Wilmington, and leave off a day or so in Greensboro. The Wilmington area has a lot of historic sites (USS NC Battleship, historic homes open to tour near the riverfront, Fort Fisher, etc. and gardens (Airlie Gardens, etc.) which are great to visit this time of year, plus you'll be right at the beaches. In Chapel Hill (where my oldest daughter is a senior) I'd recommend staying at either The Carolina Inn or The Franklin Hotel if you can swing it. These are the only two hotels in walking distance of the university. The university and surrounding downtown area, is such a great college town atmosphere; I love spending time walking the historic campus, downtown Franklin street and surrounding historic neighborhoods. A number of the homes in the historic district have beautiful yards/gardens this time of year, a few homeowners will allow you to walk through their gardens. There's also the Morehead planetarium, the Ackland Art Gallery, NC Botanical Garden, the Carolina Basketball museum (a must-see to get an understanding for the basketball passion there) in Chapel Hill and also over in Durham, the Sarah P. Duke Gardens are wonderful to visit in the spring, you'll probably find students from both UNC and Duke enjoying the gardens there.

As far as Greensboro goes, I have two friends with kids at UNC-G. From what they've told me the university is such a small part of Greensboro, the college kids there mostly stay at/near the university. Both these girls are in sororities and spend most of their free time involved with that. Greensboro itself is just a mid-sized southern city, no great draw to visit. There are a few good gardens, museums, and some decent shopping in the area.

I'm really not familiar with High Point University or that area, except for the furniture market.

Best Wishes.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilmington vs. Chapel Hill vs. Greensboro

I agree....more Wilmington, less Greensboro.

new jersey
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilmington vs. Chapel Hill vs. Greensboro

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of flexibility as the college tours dictate the schedule. We tour Wilmington Monday, Chapel Hill Tuesday, Greensboro and Elon Wednesday (only availability), and High Point Thursday. The hotels on UNC-Chapel Hill are full and also a bit pricey so we are at the Hampton Inn on Farrington Rd. We then will stay in Greensboro to eliminate the drive back and forth unless the recommendation is to do the drive and stay in Chapel Hill. It is all so overwhelming!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilmington vs. Chapel Hill vs. Greensboro

Is there anyway you could get to Wilmington earlier....Friday or Saturday?

new jersey
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilmington vs. Chapel Hill vs. Greensboro

Unfortunately no...

new jersey
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wilmington vs. Chapel Hill vs. Greensboro

Yeah...we now have an extra day! Any restaurant suggestions and will it be beach weather next week?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wilmington vs. Chapel Hill vs. Greensboro

The average high temperatures for April are in the mid-70's....in the past week we've had mid to upper 80's! As long as there's not a cold front next week, you should enjoy great weather. The ocean water is still too cool for me, but my kids will often venture in the water this time of year on a warm sunny day. I really can't help with Wilmington area restaurants; we own a beach home about 45 minutes away, so we just come in to town for the day, and rarely eat there.

Have a great trip!

8. Re: Wilmington vs. Chapel Hill vs. Greensboro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 09:48