We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

Roanoke Rapids...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

we are planning a weekend trip mid May with 2 teenage girls, touring battleship, etc. is it better to stay at one of the near by beaches or in the historic district of Wilmington? I have read that the river area is unsafe after dark. any suggestions appreciated.

Wetaskiwin, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

Hi. My wife and I were just in Wilmington last weekend and stayed at the Best Western Coastline Inn on the river. I realise that we were there in the off season but we didn't experience any problems when walking on the board walk alongside the river after dark. We found the hotel staff to be very helpful and our only complaint was that the continental breakfast room was rather small so it became quite crowded quickly.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

The Hilton is nice and it's right on the river. The battleship is just across the river.

Hilton @ 301 North Water Street, Wilmington, NC 910 - 763 - 5900.

…hilton.com/en_US/…index.do

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

No matter where you go in this world the question of safety is often part of the equation. Wilmington in no exception. Living in Wilmington you are faced with river or beach and since your original post only mentions "battleship" and "etc" not sure what the etc is. he river does have charm and there are many strrets lined with historic residence and buildings that the adults would probably enjoy. Teens would find it boring as ours would. I personally think that after dark for 2 teen girls on Front Street and downtown would be a nervous venture. There is crime. Lots of bars. Stabbings. But that is part of any city and as parents I am sure you would only consider safe activities for the girls.

Staying at the Best Western is a great choice at a very reasonable price. A really great staff more than happy to help and the rooms are very comfortable with free wifi. Walking south along the river to the center of time is a bit dark but you should be fine as a group. With all that said, take a serious look at the Wilmington beaches. They have many lodging options and the beaches are clean and much safer than downtown. Jump in the car and go downtown and explore. But wake up and walk the beach. Hope this may provide some help.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

Since mid-May isn't warm enough yet for beaching (other than walking the shore), I'd do the downtown hotels, Hilton, Best Western...or one of the nearby B&B's. Downtown Wilmington is great in spring...perfect window-shopping weather and eating at outdoor cafe's.

There's also a horse-drawn tour of the historic areas.

In addition to the Battleship, consider a drive down to Carolina Beach State Park (beautiful maritime forest) and the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 19:04
Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

We like staying in Carolina Beach. We were there in late May last year and it was actually very warm and we enjoyed the beach every day(although the ocean was a bit chilly). If you want to do that, check out vrbo for condo rentals. May is considered off season so you can get some good rates that time of year.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

What is vrbo (#5 above)???

PattiPetty

Virginia

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

VRBO.com = Vacation Rentals By Owners; an online website where vacation property homeowners rent their properties directly to vacationers, no "middle-man", ie. Realtors and/or property management companies. Generally a better, yet less expensive vacation option. Check it out, also TA has their own rent from owners listings.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
52 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

With 2 teenagers, I'd vote for staying at the beach. It'll be nice & warm. Downtown can be noisy on the weekends, but check room availability since UNCW graduation is around that time.

Edited: 11 April 2011, 00:28
new jersey
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

Any feedback on the Homewood Suites? We will be traveling as a family of four for two or three nights...

10. Re: Best place to stay in Wilmington NC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 01:45
Get answers to your questions about Wilmington