We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Trapani to Taormina

Turku,Finland
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
From Trapani to Taormina

Changed our original plan and now we are going to stay 10 Days in Sicily.

Arriving late at night at Birgi so first night in Trapani. The following morning heading to Taormina . Which option takes less time? Maybe a train to Messina ( is there a train connection from Trapani to Messina ) and then a bus to Taormina ?? Who has taken the public transport to this route ? How did you do it ?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Turku,Finland
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Trapani to Taormina

Now when I studied a little bit more of the earlier topics, I found one suggestion to take first bus to Palermo. From there a bus to Catania and then finally a bus to Taormina .,

Really ? Is this the best travel plan ? Does anyone know how much time this willq take?approximately?

Nina

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,02,831 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Trapani to Taormina

Take Interbus from Trapani to Palermo, SAIS Autolinee from Palermo to Catania and Interbus from Catania to Taormina.

Trip from Trapani to Taormina:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k5471…

Vagabonda

Turku,Finland
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Trapani to Taormina

Thanks !! Quite complicated :-)

Need to look into car hiring .More convienient :-)

Nina

Edited: 23 June 2012, 15:51
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,02,831 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Trapani to Taormina

The car hire is more convenient, but it's not very complicated, and all these bus lines run frequent service to these destinations.

Palermo's ring road is congested but traffic is lighter between 10.00 and noon, and then from 14.00 to 15.00.

Vagabonda

Turku,Finland
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Trapani to Taormina

Thank you again Vagabonda!! Have a nice summer ;-)

Nina

FIN
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Trapani to Taormina

We took a bus from Trapani to Palermo and from Palermo to Catania. The busses run on schedule and they were in a very good shape and had an air conditioning. They were also very cheap (at least comparing to Finnish prices!), it was 9€ from Trapani to Palermo and round trip Palermo-Catania-Palermo was ~24€, one way would have been 14-15€.

There were a bus running almost every hour from Trapani to Palermo (and vice versa) and from Palermo to Catania they also had good connections, almost every hour from Palermo to Catania and from Catania to Palermo maybe 1,5h waiting between different busses running back to Palermo. In Trapani you can buy the tickets from the cafe in bus station, and in Palermo from the little box offices in front of /next to the bus stops.

As a Finnish I wouldn't dare to drive there! It might be easy from when leaving Trapani but leaving Palermo was unbelieavable, looked complicated to find out from the city. Maybe it's easier if you don't need to go to the center... Also Catania had very narrow streets and high speed, we were planning to rent a scooter there but it stayed only as a plan :) The traffic was just too much for my boyfriend who is used to speed like a maniac here in central Finland. He said that there is just too much happening on the streets at the same time (because people don't care the traffic rules so strictly), it makes it difficult to follow when the city/town is not familiar. Highways are easier, but also highways might be narrow in some points and has lots of curves (feels dangerous with high speed). It's not a horror story and you may can do it, but we would go for the bus.

I would recommend you to take a whole day for travelling, starting early from Trapani, then have a stop in Palermo and enjoy a meal/gelato/water/proper toilets when waiting next bus (line 101 goes between Politeama piazza and central station if you want to see the city a little bit, local bus ticket 1,3€ and valid for an hour after stamping it in the bus), then continue travelling to Catania (having a stop there maybe as well) and then finally to Taormina. The landscapes are variant during the trip and interesting to watch for a while, but lots of fields also, so take a book or playing cards with you.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,02,831 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Trapani to Taormina

Avoid driving in Palermo or Catania, Finnish or not, but overall driving the rest of Sicily is no different than driving mainland Italy. Palermo is challenging – Trapani is easier. The autostrade are good fast roads and most of the route from Trapani to Taormina is autostrade.

Stopping along the way in Palermo and Catania is possible with left luggage storage at both train stations.

Thanks for your report Avo C!

Vagabonda

Turku,Finland
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Trapani to Taormina

Hi there fellow country man! Or woman, really :-)

I found your post very helpful, so thanks a million! We had already realized that taking the bus is the best choice after all. Specially if taken as an interesting sightseeing tour trough the island.So our way there we will reserve the whole day without any hurry what so ever. And when heading back I think we 'll propaby have an ovetnight somewhere, perhaps in Palermo. I haven't checked the schedules yet , but I presume it should go smoothly ;-)

And about the traffic. My husband just reminded me of how horrified I am always if some one else is driving ( worst experiences in Mexico , Cairo and Thailand). But the public transport in Italy or Sicily is a lot safer than my own driving. I think:-)

Nina

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,02,831 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Trapani to Taormina

It should go smoothly - Check schedules.

http://www.interbus.it/

http://www.saisautolinee.it/regionali.htm

There have been several reported incidents on buses, and also mind your luggage in the hold.

bus timetables:

tripadvisor.com/…35181318

And also be sure to validate your ticket upon entering the bus.

Vagabonda

10. Re: From Trapani to Taormina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 01:16