We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute bookings in late Sept/early Oct

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute bookings in late Sept/early Oct

This is related to my last question. I realized I should probably just start a new one....

Anyway, I'm just wondering how likely it is to find last minute available accommodation, ferries, and car rentals during the last week-ish of September and first week of October? My travel style is usually to plan within a few days of travel, which I realize doesn't work everywhere at every time of year. I just want to allow for some flexibility if possible.

So, just wondering about Milos, and maybe one of the other nearby islands. Maybe even Santorini if we have time to fit one night in. Sunset photos! ;)

5 replies to this topic
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute bookings in late Sept/early Oct

There'll be numerous ways to get to Milos either ferry or a flight. You'll have to check to see what works for you.

There'll also be enough accommodations open at that time with the best option being Adamas, the main town/port of the island. We were there in early October and most everything was open but outside the town a lot of the tourist infrastructure was shut down.

Bear in mind, just because you're there in Sept./early October doesn't mean the island becomes a ghost town. There will always be shops, markets and tavernas open throughout the island for locals which in the end may give you a more "Greek" experience rather than a tourist experience.

You should have no problem renting a car.

We enjoyed our time on Milos in early October, lower prices, far less tourists and still lovely weather. In fact the Aegean was still warm enough to take a dip.

Check out the lovely area of Plaka, Tripiti & Klima . . . very lovely and very Greek, especially off-season.

Milos is easy to combine with Sifnos, another wonderful island, even better than Milos off-season anyway.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute bookings in late Sept/early Oct

CrazyH,

That's great news! I wanted to go a little off season for this reason, but glad to hear not every town will be shut down. Do you know if we can book the accommodation within a few days of staying there though?

Same question for Sifnos. That is one I was considering.

Thank you!

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute bookings in late Sept/early Oct

dooder99: I would start contacting accommodations now and see what they have to offer. Some could be closed others still open.

Bear in mid . . . if you start checking now during the High Season it may be a while before anyone gets back to you or possibly even not get back to you. You could wait until early September to start contacting accommodations.

You can do a search on a third-party site like booking.com and if you find something that fits your needs see if there is a website for that particular accommodation. You'll probably get a better price and definitely better service than going through a third-party site.

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute bookings in late Sept/early Oct

I would consider searching for accommodations now. Bear in mind it's High Season for tourism in Greece and most businesses will be very busy and may not respond quickly or even not at all!

Still, it doesn't hurt to start looking for places to stay. You can use a third-party site like booking.com and if you find something that fits your needs see if they have a website. If so contact them directly and you'll probably get a better price and definitely better customer service.

If you get no response in a reasonable amount of time wait until early September when things start to quiet down for tourism.

There are several very good sites to search for accommodations:

One of the best: https://www.gtp.gr/AccomodationForm.asp . . . enter a destination on the destination box and see what comes up.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute bookings in late Sept/early Oct

Just wanted to thank you, CrazyH! I booked some accommodation on Milos. I went with an option that allowed me to cancel if I need to change plans. Thanks for your help!

Reply to: Last minute bookings in late Sept/early Oct
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted