We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental quad on unpaved roads - disallowed or not?

Austin, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental quad on unpaved roads - disallowed or not?

The west side of Milos is full of interesting beaches. I was planning to visit places like Ammoudaraki by quad, which seems fairly doable according to the YouTube videos I've seen.

However, I find contradictory information about whether the rental companies allow using the quad on the unpaved roads of the island. Do some companies allow it, while other don't? And what does "disallow" mean in this context - is it that you will not get any emergency road service?

Mentioned in this post
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
5 replies to this topic
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,442 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental quad on unpaved roads - disallowed or not?

I have never heard of companies not allowing to drive on a dirt road with a quad. That is exactly what quads are made for.

There is even a new law in Greece that forbids driving with quads < 125cc on asphalt roads. So with those it's only allowed on dirt roads.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Austin, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental quad on unpaved roads - disallowed or not?

I should have been more specific. I was referring to the roads on the west side of Milos, which according to several posts, and the Lonely Planet, are "off-limits" to rental vehicles, but I do not really understand what the off-limits means here (no emergency road service? anything else?)

Mentioned in this post
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,442 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental quad on unpaved roads - disallowed or not?

Years ago I have driven some of those roads with a quad, but hoping to do just a few in a months time. The off limits is certainly for normal rental cars. It's too big a risk for the bottom plate for instance. This is what the roads look like: https://tinyurl.com/ybjgxglo

And I think most rental companies say it's off limits as it's a bit of a desolate part of the island - no villages - no road signs. So, if anything happens (mechanical failure or something like that) and they have to come looking for you, it will be hard to find you.

United States
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental quad on unpaved roads - disallowed or not?

yep...thats what quads are for...I think that means CARS and you should be fine....the only way to do it. But never hurts to clarify with rental agency.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental quad on unpaved roads - disallowed or not?

You MUST check with the rental company. If you go onto a track that they disallow & they have to rescue you it could be VERY expensive as you will have to pay for rescue as well as any damage & will not be able to claim on insurance. Don't take risks, take their advice & instructions above any posts from disinterested parties on a forum.

If one of their vehicles is damaged then it can put them in an awkward postion for the next hirer - please just be considerate of others & think how you would feel if you turned up to collect your vehicle only to find the week before a hirer had caused major damage through ignoring the "rules" & there was nothing else available for you.

Reply to: Rental quad on unpaved roads - disallowed or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted