We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vehicles on beach in mid September

suffolk, va
Level Contributor
99 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Vehicles on beach in mid September

We are thinking of a trip to Ocracoke in September but have been put off by the idea of trucks and SUVs driving up and down the beach. Is there anywhere along the beach you can take a long walk with no vehicles allowed that time of year?

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vehicles on beach in mid September

There is many places. the lifeguard beach there are no vehicles allowed and some of the other walk over north of there will most likely not have any vehicles either .

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vehicles on beach in mid September

I think you may have the wrong picture of Ocracoke in your mind. This is not Daytona Beach. There are not trucks and SUVs driving up and down the full length of the beach on Ocracoke Island. Trucks and SUVs are only allowed on portions of the beach. And as fish_oinc said, the further north you go (towards the Ocracoke-Hatteras ferry)--even if you are on a portion of the beach that allows SUVs--you will see maybe two or three SUVs and those will be parked with people fishing nearby. That's been my experience.

You still have miles of beach to walk on. You can check with the Visitor Center at Ocracoke for the exact places where you can walk to your heart's content. You are going to love the beach at Ocracoke and how peaceful it is! Not a building for miles on the beach--it is simply beautiful.

www.ocracokeisland.com/vistors_center.htm

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vehicles on beach in mid September

Great answers-Sept is a beautiful time to visit not just for weather but the crowds are down so there will not be as many vehicles on the beach anyway. Enjoy the island.

suffolk, va
Level Contributor
99 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vehicles on beach in mid September

Thanks for the advice! I definately will check out the beaches at the Northern part of the island and we may try camping at the National Park campground. (Just not sure we can cope with the mosquitoes that will be there in Sept.) I have been visiting the Outer Banks since 1960. My first trip to Ocracoke was made by driving on landing strip mats when I was 10 years old and camping with ponies coming through the campground. After that there were years of summer camping at Cape Point campground until the beach vehicles made Hatteras Island seem like one big parking lot. Our last trip to Ocracoke (last May) was nice. It is much less developed than Hatteras and Nags Head. Wherever I go on the outer banks I always stop for a walk at Pea Island to see what birds are around. I'm hoping to see some interesting migrants on Ocracoke and also swim and bike and visit Howards! Thanks again.

5. Re: Vehicles on beach in mid September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 16:46
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke
Recent Conversations