We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit in the begining of October

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
173 reviews
Visit in the begining of October

Thinking about visiting Mount Airy in the begging of October (I know we would just miss Mayberry Days). What is the weather like at that time of year? Would there be enough to do/see if we stayed over 2 nights? We love seafood and Italian food, any suggestions on restaurants? We also like a good hamburger, where is the best burger place? We love the Andy Griffith show and I am sure would enjoy seeing the patrol car, gas station, barbershop, etc...

Also, thinking of traveling North 81 to head back to PA - any suggestions of a stop over?

Thanks for any info and "Hey to Goober"

2 replies to this topic
US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Visit in the begining of October

If it is in your budget, check out Trio Restaurant and Bar. And you must eat at Snappy Lunch!

You can also visit the wineries near there:

http://www.visitncwine.com/

Pilot Mountain State Park is just over 20 minutes from Mt. Airy and has some lovely views.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: Visit in the begining of October

Mt Airy has its Autumn Leaves Festival on Oct 12 - 14. Will you be missing that, too? The weather at that time of year (beginning of October) is normally quite nice - cooler than the hot, muggy summertime and warm enough to be outdoors in shirtsleeves. Maybe wear a light jacket in the evening.

You might enjoy a stop in Galax, Va on the way up to I81. On the Blue Ridge Parkway (just off Hwy 89 that connects Mt Airy and Galax) is the Blue Ridge Music Center. They have local musicians in the daytime and a couple of pretty hiking trails on the grounds. There are also some lovely views from the Parkway into the NC piedmont/foothills from overlooks.

Just north of Mt Airy in Cana, Va (taking US52) are stands selling local produce (it will be apple season). There is an orchard in Cana (Levering Orchard - has its own website) that is UPick in the fall. On that same road (US52) further north, there are antique shops and a great General Store between Fancy Gap and Hillsville. It all depends on what appeals to you.

There are a lot of great stopping places along I81 in Virginia. A recent post on the Virginia forum (Travelling through NC and VA) has a great list of stops.

Mt Airy is a great town. We love it! Glad you are coming to visit.

Reply to: Visit in the begining of October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Airy