We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highlands in January

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Highlands in January

I've heard that many places in Highlands like to close down when it's off season. Do you think it would be worth a visit in mid-January or would it be better to come back another time? I'm looking for a mountain town to take my husband for his birthday and I've heard Highlands is very nice and there are some great restaurants there. Thanks for any input in advance!

Jules

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highlands in January

It's more quiet; probably April would be better, but not everything is closed. If you are still keen to visit in January, contact the Tourist Office

2chambers.com/highlands,_north_carolina1.htm

http://www.highlandschamber.org/

Links to other info, great deals for January....

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,471 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highlands in January

We were there early last Feb. and stayed at the Hampton Inn. Not many restaurants were open on the weekend. We did enjoy coffee at the downtown coffee shop.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highlands in January

Highlands is very quiet during the winter months.... I would suggest Asheville for a Jan. trip.. Buck's is the coffee shop mentioned in the second response they have a second shop in Cashiers and the coffee is very good

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highlands in January

Okay, thanks everyone. I was originally looking for somewhere a little closer to Atlanta, but I think Asheville will be worth the drive since there will be lots more to do. I will save Highlands for the spring or fal!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,102 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highlands in January

Blowing Rock does not close up like Highlands. It is a little further, but a charming town right off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

www.blowingrock.com/chamber.php

www.highcountryhost.com

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highlands in January

While Highlands may be closed up in winter, be sure to keep it in mind for a Summer Visit. Much cooler than ATL (at least 10 degrees) with some excellent food. We really love the weekend night auctions at the place downtown. Do not miss as this is some really interesting entertainment.

There are at least 4 or 5 nice waterfalls within easy drive. Google North Carolina waterfalls to see them.

Highlands is a small, quiet moutain town with very little nightlife. But if you want a good small town experience with access to some beautiful outdoor activities you will like Highlands.

It is kinda pricey to stay here, but worth it once in a while. We stay at the Mountain High Inn and live it for location and nice, clean accommodations. Nothing fancy, but nice motel type place.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highlands in January

One more thing I forgot, Paolettis is one of the best Italian places I have ever eaten in the US. Do not skip this place. Make a reservation if busy time of year.

North Carolina...
Level Contributor
8 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highlands in January

Highlands is making a real effort to end the stigma of being a Summer Resort by the addition of two WINTER events; ROMANCE WEEKEND & WINTERFEST.

Several Restaurants are open and more are to be on board for winter 2010.

Please contact:

HIGHLANDSCHAMBER.ORG

ROMANCE WEEKEND

When: Friday, January 29 & Saturday, January 30

9. Re: Highlands in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Highlands
More Highlands Topics