We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

bay head,new jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

Rented a home in Duck through Twiddy real estate and discovered that unless you opt out you are automatically charged 8% for trip insurance. Has anyone else experienced the same misfortune?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

Well, I'm a great consumer advocate so I was prepared to go to bat. Here's what I found very easily and quickly.

I did see Twiddy's online lease here which states early on that insurance is included unless you opt out:

http://www.twiddy.com/lease.aspx

So I also checked quickly a house rental they had. The price beside the picture says "weekly rate" and amount; under that "travel insurance" with a checked box beside it and the rate and you can uncheck the box; and below that the tax and the total balance.

So I went to the "Book Now" in orange also beside the picture to look at that.

Below the picture on that page was listed the length of stay and in bold black letters the total amount. Below that 4 items and whether they were included or not...like linens, cleaning, security deposit. Again in bold black is "Taxes" percentage and amount; below that in bold black "Travel Insurance" checked, which you can uncheck, described in some depth, statement from purchaser of the insurance "I have read and understand the Terms...of the insurance coverage...etc" and the amount.

That said, it probably isn't a major expense if you're locked into it. I mean if you're locked in, the percentage of your total vacation and your enjoyment in the Outer Banks...is it worth the worry and fight. However, I've always heard one should get insurance separate from the company one is renting from. That part you might pursue in a separate topic to get feedback from others and perhaps get additional all inclusive insurance.

Edited: 20 April 2012, 21:21
bay head,new jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

Thank You for your response. I agree with your assessment however, I feel a more ethical system is one which allows a consumer to opt in not out.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
863 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

Pretty much all realty companies in the OBX do this. Like everything else in life - read the fine print. Although it seems that most places make this pretty clear.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

I think the insurance clause is there due to the possibility of hurricanes. We always opt out as not going is not an option:-).

nc
Level Contributor
480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

It has to do with NC law regarding refunds during a mandatory evacuation. The company has to have a record of you being offered the insurance and refusing it.

§ 42A‑36. Mandatory evacuations.

...The tenant shall not be entitled to a refund if: (i) prior to the tenant taking possession of the property, the tenant refused insurance offered by the landlord or real estate broker that would have compensated the tenant for losses or damages resulting from loss of use of the property due to a mandatory evacuation order; or (ii) the tenant purchased insurance offered by the landlord or real estate broker.

You can find the whole text of 42A, the Vacation Rental Act, here: …state.nc.us/gascripts/…

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
863 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

Sunny429, as to not going "not being an option" - the bottom line is that if there is a hurricane and there is a mandatory closure or evacuation, you will not be able to go (or will be forced to leave). Without insurance, the rental company does not have to refund you any part of your rental fee if that happens.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

On Sunday August 28, 2011 we were due to start our vacation in Rodanthe.

However, there was no way to get there since the roads were gone in a number of places and what with no electricity and running water and all that.

Going on our original vacation was simply not an option. ;)

It happens.

This was the first time in my lifetime that I've seen it happen in Rodanthe, but it happens and it's better to be safe than sorry. :)

Going down in early June this year... before the hurricane season gets going.

richmond
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

There could also be a death in the family or illness that could prevent you from going. Unlike a hotel which you can cancel 24 hrs in advance, rentals require half far in advance and the other half 30 days before.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

I can't speak for other rental companies, but our company offers trip insurance as a service to the renters - we don't make a dime on it so selling 10,000 policies or 1 makes us the same amount of money. The trip insurance is good for lots more than just weather issues. A guest had a car wreck on the way down last year and I recall hearing it paid for something there. Also if mom or dad gets sick it covers you not coming and much more. There is certainly more than one company providing insurance and I am sure coverage varies with each.

Edited: 26 April 2012, 01:12
Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Charging trip insurance on home rental ?

Mandatory evacuation last August on Thursday the 25th...had rental insurance...got back (2) full days worth of rental $$...worth it in my eyes...can't wait to go back this August

Get answers to your questions about Duck