We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Charlotte for a 20 year old girl.

Madison, Wisconsin
6 posts
Things to do in Charlotte for a 20 year old girl.

I am staying near the convention center for a work convention and am staying a couple extra days to explore. What are some things I should check out? How far away do I have to go to get good shopping?

Thanks

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte, Matthews
Level Contributor
885 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Things to do in Charlotte for a 20 year old girl.

Will you have a car? Southpark is the best area for shopping, upscale mall w/ tons of restaurants in and around it. :)

NC
Level Contributor
597 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Things to do in Charlotte for a 20 year old girl.

Concord Mills would be your best shopping option. Sothpark and North Lake malls are more upscale.

Level Contributor
66 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Things to do in Charlotte for a 20 year old girl.

Will agree with above and adding that these spots are NOT located downtown/uptown/near convention center. Concord is about 25min away.

southpark mall is probably 10-15min away by car. There is not that much retail located within walking distance of the convention center/downtown.

Charlotte does not have a good public transportation system that makes use of a light rail system. We claim to be working on it -depending on if its election time or not - LOL! so you will NEED a car. You can take a cab to these spots but it may get kind of pricey. Check to see if the hotel has a shuttle or something but I would doubt it.

The Shopping is ok. Does Charlotte have everything under the sun. No. We dont claim to be miami, nyc or cali. But I think people not familiar with charlotte would find the shopping here surprisingly diverse.

Everyone has different ideas about 'good shopping'. If you like bargains and outlets- spend time at Concord Mills

If you like department stores and chains (Macys, Neimans, Nordstrom, Banana Republic) then South park mall would fit your fancy and give you the most bang for you buck.

If you like a boutique type/original shopping experience, Then you can explore some of the small shops they have just outside the mall along south park road and down the street from the mall along Fairview road. I think its called Phillips Place Shopping Center.

Lastly in regards to other things in Charlotte to see and do for a 20 year old. I see nothing unique about Charlotte except NASCAR hall of fame, Levine Museum of the New South and the Whitewater Center. Everything else you could probably get in some form or fashion from any other major city. Every place has a large outlet, a luxury simon mall, Bars and Nightspots that have their own feel- i.e. I like Cosmos but I am sure you could find a similar concept elsewhere..... . But I still love Charlotte! I hope you enjoy!

Edited: 11 March 2011, 01:47
NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
4. Re: Things to do in Charlotte for a 20 year old girl.

I concur with the above post and I would add a caution - be careful traveling about the city alone. Keep your doors locked and watch your surroundings in mall ;parking lots. Women alone have been targets of muggings...several at Southpark. just be aware and think. Best wishes.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
173 reviews
5. Re: Things to do in Charlotte for a 20 year old girl.

Hopefully I am not too late & you are still in CLT. Anyway, some time ago, somebody asked a similar question; & I gave the reply about the Carolina Pavilion & then had several messages from quite a few people thanking me of suggesting the Lynx train+ Steinmart, Kohls, inexpensive restaurants, etc.

So, if you don't have a car & want just ordinary stores, then, this is it.

I hope this is the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g49022-i291-k41959…

6. Re: Things to do in Charlotte for a 20 year old girl.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 03:45