We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlotte airport flight patterns and affected neighborhoods

Hollywood, FL
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Charlotte airport flight patterns and affected neighborhoods

Hello. We will be visiting Charlotte over the next few months and relocating in about 8 months. I was wondering, what are the neighborhoods most adversely affected by air traffic from the airport? We live a couple miles from the Fort Lauderdale airport and, even though we are "to the south" of the E/W landing direction, when we visit friends directly under the landing pattern its absolutely unnerving. If anyone has been to the western style town of Davie, FL lately, you know what I mean.

Also, has anyone heard of any airport expansion ideas in which they would add runways in other directions?

Thanks for any leads!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlotte airport flight patterns and affected neighborhoods

Charlotte Douglas is a major hub for US Airways. It is an extremely busy airport and will probably expand more in the future.

My experience has been flight patterns often change. I live just across the river in Gaston County. When we first moved there, no overhead activity. Now, we have some. But, having said that - I rarely pay any attention to it. It does not bother me.

I used to live in west Charlotte near the airport. Again, I could hear the engines sometimes, but not much trouble with overhead.

I do know that people in the Tuckaseegee Rd area ( west Mecklenburg) have historically had lots of problems with airplane noise. There are also a few areas in Steele Creek with low flyovers.

Your best bet is to talk to people living in your potiential neighborhood.

If you are going to live in west or southwest Mecklenburg, you run the risk of hearing planes in the future.

Best wishes.

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlotte airport flight patterns and affected neighborhoods

Most of the noise effect area has been bought by the city and the houses demolished. There are now some condos and apartments being rebuilt in that area.

Hollywood, FL
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charlotte airport flight patterns and affected neighborhoods

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm mostly concerned with the low flyovers during take off and landings. As a matter of fact we will be looking into Gastonia with a realtor in the next few months. Glad to hear that it doesn't seem to be an issue.