We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
64 posts
Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

We'll be heading to HHI within the next few weeks.. We're from Columbus OH. The plan is to head out at 6:00 a.m. (on a Friday) and hopefully get through Charlotte by about 2:00 p.m. I'm aware of the construction on I-77. It's been a pain in the rump for at least the last two years. In the past, we've left home closer to 7:00 a.m., and got to Charlotte at about 3:00 p.m. , right at rush hour time. Aaaagh! Will traffic be any better at 2:00? If not, I'll detour around like we did last year. From I-77 South, take I-40 West (Statesville exit) to Rte. 16 South to 485 South to I-77 South. It looks quicker on the map than it actually is, but it beats sitting in bumper-to-bumper going-nowhere- fast traffic on I-77. So, take a chance on I-77, or plan on detouring?

10 replies to this topic
Elkin, North...
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

I’m sorry to say it’s even worse now.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
64 posts
2. Re: Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

Thanks prlyles. Maybe auto manufacturers should put a hold on developing driverless cars and concentrate on making flying cars, especially for those that live in or drive through Charlotte. :-)

Charlotte
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

Do this: About 10 miles before I-40, pull up Google Maps and set HHI as your destination. It will tell you the best way to go and how much time it will take you compared to other options.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,530 posts
153 reviews
4. Re: Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

What about taking I-40 West to Hickory, then 321 south to just below Rock Hill, getting back on I-77?. Looks like only 20 minutes longer...on a traffic free day. Which in turn might be quicker when traffic is backed up in the Charlotte area. ? (google maps says it is only 4 miles longer too)

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,731 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

It's weird that the alternate route Google Maps gives is to go through Cincinnati and Kentucky and come into NC via Asheville and down, but you can just scoot over to I-74 at Mt Airy right after the NC state line. It's about 15 minutes longer, but you avoid Charlotte. You go down 74 through NC and hit I-95 just north of Florence. Now, I-95 can have back ups anytime just because it's I-95, but usually traffic is moving pretty fast on it. Check it out https://goo.gl/maps/ajeELpZ3Pzk

NC
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
154 reviews
6. Re: Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

I was also going to suggest picking up I-74 right inside NC. So much easier than 77.

You could either take 74 all the way to 95 or you could pick up route 38, just south of Hamlet and take that down to 95. Taking 38 will shave off about 30 miles since 38 heads south to 95, whereas 74 keeps going east to 95.

You would not have any problems on I-74, especially once you start heading towards High Point. You will incur some traffic through downtown Winston Salem, but it's nothing like Charlotte. Maybe an extra 5-10 minutes.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,725 posts
84 reviews
7. Re: Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

The I-74 option has been my choice the last few trips to Myrtle Beach, and I strongly recommend it. When going in or around Charlotte, I've hit backups on I-77, I-85 and I-485. We've found alternate routes on either side of SC just to avoid traffic there.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
115 posts
75 reviews
8. Re: Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

We're thinking about using I-77 to Mooresville, stay overnight, and then continue on I-77 early the next morning, which will be a Saturday. If we leave our hotel by 8 am will we avoid most of the traffic?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
9. Re: Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

Usually on Saturday morning it will be Ok. I would take 485 outer rather than going through Charlotte on 77. There may be a little delay going over the Lake, there usually is. So you may consider staying in Davidson, or Huntersville.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
115 posts
75 reviews
10. Re: Regarding I-77 through Charlotte

Thanks Scott B. We stayed in Huntersville and left our hotel at 7:45 am. We had no issues/delays on 485.

Reply to: Regarding I-77 through Charlotte
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted