We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip Orlando to Charlotte

coventry
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
road trip Orlando to Charlotte

We are looking to travel from Orlando to Charlotte in Feb 2019, but guessing on 2018 prices of flights the trip is going to be $500 (two persons travelling). Even with the cost of gas, and maybe a motel, it could be $200 cheaper. any thoughts

Any help or advice on travelling by road, google maps has a distance of 8hrs driving time. Maybe with a stop at Daytona beach, Jacksonville or Savannah.

Has anyone done this route.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
6 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip Orlando to Charlotte

Is that Coventry England for your location?

Look at some internal flights on Southwest airlines, or Frontier. I know Frontier and Southwest both fly into RDU (Raleigh Durham airport), which is about 2 hrs from Charlotte and they may fly into Charlotte, too. You may need to go direct to their websites, www.southwest.com and www.flyfrontier.com . Frontier is like Flybe or EasyJet — great prices if you're not taking any luggage. Southwest doesn't charge for luggage, but still has some great fares, though not quite as low as Frontier. I have seen $20 (twenty) fares between RDU and Orlando on Frontier. On Southwest it's more like $70.

The drive would take 11 hours with minimal stops for food and gas. I've done it from Charlotte to Orlando and between Orlando and the Raleigh area a couple of times. It's a really boring drive. If you can spare 3 or 4 days you could make it worth your while and stop in Savannah and Charleston, but otherwise it's just a long slog.You could do just one overnight, but that just chops your time up too much and doesn't allow you to see much on your stopover. Charleston and Savannah are both worth a couple of days each.

And why Charlotte? Not really much of a tourist destination. Do you have family or friends there? If not there are better places in NC to go.

Edited: 18 February 2018, 06:03
Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip Orlando to Charlotte

panchopup:

From his other posts it sounds like he's coming up for the NBA All-Star game next year.

Thousands have done this route. Nothing special to recommend unless you want to take a detour to Charleston, S.C.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
coventry
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip Orlando to Charlotte

correct jiminnc, i am coming for the NBA all star weekend, just waiting on prices from the NBA to book up

coventry
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip Orlando to Charlotte

yes, panchopup, that is COVENTRY in the UK, flying to Orlando first, then making my way to Charlotte for the NBA all star weekend, Then rushing back to Orlando as a base ready for Speedweeks at Daytona.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip Orlando to Charlotte

I’ve driven Charlotte to Orlando and back countless times. It’s 8 hours and, unfortunately rather a dull drive. Charleston is too far out of the way. Savannah isn’t exactly on the way either, but it’s a short detour. Jacksonville sucks and not worth seeing, plus it’s really not that far from Orlando.

Personally I’d just push all the way through it, but if you want to break for a bit then Savannah is about halfway and a good stopping point.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Charleston
Charleston
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip Orlando to Charlotte

Check into the flights on Frontier. Maybe you can leave some luggage in Orlando if you're going back. Frontier is a cheap fare if you don't have bag and if you're just going up for the NBA game and then back to Orlando that might work for you. I'm seeing $39 from Orlando to Charlotte. It's a 1.5 hr non-stop flight. That would save your backside a lot of time sitting in on I-95 or I-26.

Edited: 18 February 2018, 21:30
Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Reply to: road trip Orlando to Charlotte
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted