We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Requesting suggestions for Pres. weekend visit

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Requesting suggestions for Pres. weekend visit

Husband and I (late 50’s) are visiting Charlotte for 5 days next weekend. The main purpose of our visit is to explore Charlotte and surrounding area to see if it someplace we would like to live. What are the areas in Charlotte proper that we must visit (uptown) that will give us a good flavor for the city. Also, we plan to look at other towns from Davidson, Huntersville to Matthews and Tega Cay....does it make sense to stay in Charlotte or closer to any of these towns. Any restaurant/pub recommendations appreciated too! Thank you in advance!

4 replies to this topic
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Requesting suggestions for Pres. weekend visit

Where to stay depends on what you want. If you want the hustle and bustle of the city, then Uptown Charlotte can’t be beat. If you want a more relaxed feel (and lower taxes), get out of Mecklenburg county and go elsewhere. Southeast into Union county is a good choice; check out Waxhaw or Indian Trail. Due South is Rock Hill, which is is busier and cheaper than Waxhaw since it’s in SC, although Tega Cay is ridiculously expensive. Anything North of the city like Huntersville is an absolute nightmare right now due to interstate construction.

Charlotte is a great city, but the infrastructure sucks. There aren’t enough major thoroughfares so important ones like I-77 are just parking lots.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
630 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Requesting suggestions for Pres. weekend visit

I have lived here for 26 years. The area has changed and not for the good in my opinion. I would not recommend living in Mecklenburg County. Uncontrolled growth, little to no real improvements in infrastructure, taxes that will continue to go out of site (if you own property,- - you are big time messed over). The city of Charlotte will spend money on every new and trendy thing, cave to sports owners, and do exactly what the voters reject in referendums. (Hello Arena for the Hornets). We have made the conscious decision to move. However, if you are insistent, then please look at MLS in the 28270 area. Just my opinion. Coming from the northern area of the US you may find it to your liking. The politicians will continue to increase funding and tax base but not to the level you are used to. Good luck.

Edited: 11 February 2018, 23:11
SE USA
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Requesting suggestions for Pres. weekend visit

You may find this helpful. It gives a description of different areas of Charlotte and nearby towns. charlottesgotalot.com/…Smalltowns

You might want to consider staying in Ayrsley Town Blvd area (there is a Hilton, Embassy Suites and a couple other hotels there). Its on the south side on 485 and 77 so convenient to get to lots of areas. There are a several restaurants there - mostly the usual suburban chains. (I'm not suggesting this is the most interesting area of Charlotte but just a convenient place to stay). Or stay near or at Ballantyne Hotel is you want something more upscale. Its also south of town on 485.

FYI - traffic north of town on 77 near Huntersville and Davidson can be really bad due to construction so check google maps before heading up that way.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Requesting suggestions for Pres. weekend visit

All great suggestions above on where to stay, but my favorite out of the mentioned cities is Davidson. Such great character and beautiful downtown. For lunch or dinner, head to Kindred. Breakfast should be eaten at Toast :) If you just want something simple, Fuel Pizza is a favorite too.

Reply to: Requesting suggestions for Pres. weekend visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted