We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March trip to Charlotte...

Waterbury...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
March trip to Charlotte...

Wife and I are planning a trip to Charlotte mid March curious how the weather is?

We are thinking of taking the train cost as much as a plane ride or rent a car drive down.

Thinking of going the 12th of March. Explore the City the 14th, 15th, and 16th leave the 17th.

Anything to see or do?

Part of our trip will be checking out areas like to rent. As I am looking into work and school near Queens University area.

Also thinking of running a road race the 17th.

With the Amtrak station should be accessible to Lyft. Any recommendations of places to Stay? Looking for a hotel that's $120 or under a night. Might look into AirNB as well.

Appreciate the insight and look forward to hearing the feedback from all.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
5 replies to this topic
NC
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March trip to Charlotte...

I recommend having a back-up plan just in case the weather prevents you from getting here. We have some of our worst snow/ice storms here in March. The weather will be cold, unless a miracle occurs and we have nice, warmer weather. :)

There are things to do in Charlotte, so you'll need to provide more info on what you like and are interested in.

Also, need to know areas you want to stay in to provide hotel recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
SE USA
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: March trip to Charlotte...

You may want to consider renting a car while you are in Charlotte. Public transportation is not the easiest way to get around town, esp if you are trying to look around at possible areas to live here and see UNCC and Queens area. And it opens up access to less expensive hotels outside of center city.

The weather could be anything but most likely mild and pleasant during the day (60s) and chilly at night. Last year we had a light snow in March but that really isn't the norm. There is a St Pats festival here and I remember often wearing shorts to that.

What race are you doing? I've done a lot of Charlotte races and can give insight on where to park, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Queens
Queens
New York
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March trip to Charlotte...

Agree with Gordo!

Rent a car. Charlotte is a large city and you want to drive around to get a real feel for the place.

I answered you on the differences between NC and Maine in your Maine post.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Maine
Maine
United States
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
630 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March trip to Charlotte...

I have taken the train several times and it is not the same animal as many trains that travel the northeastern corridor, say from D.C. northward. You will need a car in Charlotte, our touted transportation system and rail is a joke,( you'll stop often and also run along side cars so it is anything but rapid).

charlottestories.com/wp-content/uploads/2016…

Lived in Atlanta, business in D.C. and NYC and used their rapid transit systems. Once you leave the very slow, above ground rail, the bus system can get you many place. However, I'd go with the rental car, anyway. Places are far apart.

I would put a premium on your time and fly over the train. The train will not be inexpensive and you're looking at wasting a day or more.

Just my 2 cents. LOL, get a gps or use you phone, many Queens Roads and streets change names many times and you're still on the street your started on. Safe travels.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
17 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March trip to Charlotte...

The South Park area has hotels that aren’t far from Queen’s University. They may be above your $120 price point. If you go a little further south the Ayrsley neighborhood has some hotels in your price range and there are a few restaurants and a movie theater nearby.

Reply to: March trip to Charlotte...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted