We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early to be at CLT

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
How early to be at CLT

Hi,

I have TSA precheck through GE but my 3 traveling companions do not (although they may get randomly selected). We have an international flight tomorrow at 7:45am and have hired a car to drop us at the airport. What time should we shoot for? I always breeze through TSA precheck so I'm not sure how long the other security lines take. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early to be at CLT

We do not seem to "breeze" through as quickly as in the past. Security has tightened.

If you are traveling in coach, they say 3 hours, but I would give it at least 2.5. Business, 2 hours.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How early to be at CLT

Just got back last night. Once again GE/pre-check paid for itself. I was through security on the way down in no time at all. On the way back last night I got through immigration a full half hour faster than my companions.

Our plane was early by about 30 minutes but we had no gate so we ended up pulling in late after all. The people beside me foolishly booked a connection with an hour layover from Int'l to domestic. I'm sure they all missed their flight. The lines at immigration were very long last night but GE took less than a minute. Then the lines to get uber/lyft and the taxi lines were super long. We had a friend picking us up and it also took a long time for her to make it through. I did not know MLK was such a popular travel day. Or is it just always like that at CLT now?

Charlotte
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How early to be at CLT

Until they finish the construction of the roadways in front of terminal, I'm guessing that all forms of ground transport for arrivals are going to be problematic. I've started parking in daily so I can make the long walk to my car rather than wait on a shuttle bus.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early to be at CLT

we probably should have just driven as well but with the construction and early flight down, I didn't want to risk it. Valet is awesome though but I can only afford it for day trips.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How early to be at CLT

Charlotte Douglas is a hot mess right now with all of the construction. They never run enough shuttles, even during the peak times you can stand around for ages waiting.

I’m hoping once they finish everything they’ll add some more buses, but I don’t have much confidence that they will.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Douglas Airport
Douglas Airport
Charlotte, NC
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early to be at CLT

Freehike

I hope you are right. But, we heard this prior to the Democratic Convention prep. I just wonder where the reason really lies?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How early to be at CLT

Queeni

I don’t know what else it could be other than money. There is certainly enough demand for them. At least add them during peak hours....

Reply to: How early to be at CLT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted