We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Day Ideas?

mn
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy Day Ideas?

Second trip ever to CB coming up next week - and the weather looks like rain, storms, rain and more storms. We're from the midwest so we come for the beach, but I'm guessing there won't be too much beach time if it's storming all week.

Which brings me to my question: What kinds of things can we do if it's pouring out in CB or surrounding areas? We have teen sons and none of us are really interested in the aquarium. But I'm trying to think outside of the box of things we can do that don't require sunshine, even if it's playing board games at a coffee shop or something (I think I'm gonna regret getting a tiny condo - I was thinking we'd hardly be in it!). We've never taken the ferry to Southport - is that something that would be awful in the rain?

ANY ideas are appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,130 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy Day Ideas?

There is a very nice coffee shop..Majic Beanz, that I recommend stopping in. I think there is an enclosed area on the ferry to protect you from the elements. Yes, I would take the ferry no matter the weather. Go into the Fort Fisher museum. It's free and there is a cool battle display table showing what happened during that battle. Flashing lights and narration. Very interesting. The Aquarium is very nice, not just for little kids. Of course if it's raining it will be crowded. Look up in Wilmington for things to do too. Maybe a tour of the Battleship. Have fun no matter! I'm sure it won't be a total washout.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy Day Ideas?

I just checked the weather forecast for next week, looks like it's returning to usual summer weather. It has been very rainy/stormy the past 2 weeks at the beach, but even then there's been some sun. Next week each day's forecast has very high UV. indexes...which means very sunny, and only chances for scattered thunderstorms each day, mostly in the afternoon, which the the normal weather along the Southeast coast of the U.S. during summer months. If you just look at the symbols/icons in the daily forecasts, you'd think you're in for terrible weather, but reading the detailed forecast for each day, you'll see it's just various chances for scattered/pop-up thunderstorms most days....being along the coast, with so much moisture in the atmosphere, some spot along the coast will most likely get a thunderstorm every day. It may or may not be your location, and if it is your location that day, thunderstorms usually move through very quickly. Years ago when I was a college student I worked on the beach all summer, we'd just run for cover for the 5-10 minutes that the storm was passing through, then get right back on the beach; most beach-goers do the same.

It's good to have some ideas of good rainy day activities,and around the Carolina Beach/Wilmington area, there's lots to do. But looking at the weather forecast for next week, unless it changes drastically, I don't think you'll need many, if any rainy day ideas.

mn
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy Day Ideas?

Wonderful ideas, beachlady3! And thanks for the reassurance on the weather, UNCMickey. Sounds like CB might be one of those places where "if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes." Glad we'll get some beach time in!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
412 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy Day Ideas?

I just came back from Wrightsville Beach and CB. When I looked at the forecast before we headed down there, it showed high percentages of rain all day long. Got to WB at lunchtime after driving for at least 5 hours in rain, at times a deluge. It stopped as we pulled in to WB where we had a nice lunch. It was a beautiful afternoon so we then raced to change, thinking it might be our only chance to be on the beach based on the forecast for the week. Woke up Tues am to an absolute downpour. It stopped by about 10am, then we headed to CB where we stayed for the next three days. Despite forecasted rain, Tues and Wed were perfect beach days (hot though!). We only spent a couple of hours yesterday morning at CB before going to our next destination - sky looked sketchy, but we didn’t get rain all morning before we left.

Point of this.....while it’s wise to have alternative plans for things to do, you might be pleasantly surprised each day even if the weather is forecast to be bad. And as pointed out above, often it’s a quick passing shower. I’ve been sitting on the beach in MD and could see dark skies a few blocks north where friends were texting me saying it was pouring while a few blocks south where I was, the sun was out! I hope it turns out to be a beautiful week for you.

Reply to: Rainy Day Ideas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach