We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water temp in Buxton?

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
295 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Water temp in Buxton?

We'll be there in a little more than two weeks, and I wonder what the water temperature is like now. Think it will be warm enough to get in the first week of June?

Thanks!

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water temp in Buxton?

I hope and expect it will be as I will be in Rodanthe that week...

the average for June at the Cape is 75 degrees F...

Here is a link to water temp info:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl.html

According to wikipedia "Two major Atlantic currents collide just off Cape Hatteras, the southerly-flowing cold water Labrador Current and the northerly-flowing warm water Florida Current (Gulf Stream), creating turbulent waters and a large expanse of shallow sandbars extending up to 14 miles (23 km) offshore. "

What that means regarding water temperature is that you might have cooler labrador currents closer to shore or you might have the warmer gulf stream current closer to shore.

"As the Gulf Stream reaches Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, the cold Labrador Current that flows from the north separates it from the coast. At this confluence, the warm Gulf Stream waters combine with the cold winds accompanying the Labrador Current, forming one of the densest concentrations of fog in the world. Because of this immense heat transfer, atmospheric storms tend to intensify in this region."

Read more: answers.com/topic/gulf-stream#ixzz1vA68ubeJ

If you should find the ocean too cold one day it might be warm the next.

Also, sound side beaches are a good back up plan for those with kids who MUST be in the water every day.

There is a beach just south of the village of Salvo that is nice and quiet and always warm, and I believe there is access to a sound side beach just north of Buxton at Canadian Hole.

Have a great trip! :)

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water temp in Buxton?

Warm enough but chilly you can check this web cam it will give the temperature at the bottom of the cam view it is about 50 miles North .

http://www.avalonpier.com/piercam.html

Also this site

surf-forecast.com/breaks/Frisco-Pier/seatemp

3. Re: Water temp in Buxton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 16:45
Get answers to your questions about Buxton