We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blowing Rock Timeframe

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Blowing Rock Timeframe

Greetings -

We are doing a Blowing Rock, to Asheville jaunt, and am curious to see if the town of Blowing Rock itself will take up more than 3-4 hours for some shopping and a meal. I am aware of the surrounding areas, towns, and outdoor hiking, sightseeing, etc., but have read that the town itself might only fill up an afternoon of "browsing". Just my wife and I on this trip (no kids) and having never been, am trying to plan accordingly. Would not mind spending a night or two to combine some shopping and hiking, but if the town does not warrant it, I'd rather get the extra day in Asheville. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blowing Rock Timeframe

It depends on what kind of shoppers you two are.

A inveterate shopper could easily spend a day in Blowing Rock, browsing the downtown shops, and then heading to the outlet shops nearby. If you are not a big shopper, you can certainly make a beeline through the shops that look interesting to you in about 3-4 hours.

You might want to check out the link below--look to the right of the page for the list of different shops.

http://www.blowingrock.com/shopping.php.

Blowing Rock also has a lovely town park--people buy ice cream at Kilwins and trot across the street to the park to eat their ice cream and people watch.

Personally, I would make sure that I gave myself plenty of time on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Blowing Rock and Asheville. That is a beautiful stretch of the Parkway with some great trails and beautiful views.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blowing Rock Timeframe

People Watching....! (Forgot to mention that) Thanks for the info, think we will meander our way up there, and get an afternoon in Blowing Rock and spend the night. Next morning we will walk around the town a bit before heading down to Asheville.

We'll probably pick two attractions/trails on the way up, and the same on the way back down to Asheville.

Thanks for the input!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blowing Rock Timeframe

I think you could easily spend a day or more in Blowing Rock, but it depends on what you like to do. If you go on a weekend you may hit an Art in the Park weekend (blowingrock.com/artinthepark/artintheparkinf…) and then it could be pretty crowded. Many people spend a week or two in the area. I wouldn't sell it short myself, but not sure what you're looking for in a vacation destination. There is certainly no shortage of shopping and hiking opportunities around both towns.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blowing Rock Timeframe

Panchopup--McRoadTrip was just asking about the shopping--not all the sightseeing. And yes, if one is not an inveterate shopper, one certainly can confine oneself to 3-4 hours in the downtown area and Outlet Mall. I know because I've done it. it's not like McRoadTrip is on a mission and shopping for a houseful of furniture.

You and I share the same affection for the area--one could easily make Blowing Rock one's home base and spend a week or two hiking, rafting, camping, swimming, fishing, checking out festivals, taking photographs, sketching, painting and exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a great area.

But then, so is Asheville and that is the McRoadTrip's destination.Gotta respect that!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blowing Rock Timeframe

Your both correct in fact….

We were in High Point back in April for the furniture market, and took I-40 back to Chicago and were astounded by the area so we promised ourselves we would come back. We have previously seen the mountains in Southern CA and Canadian Rockies, but thought that the Blue Ridge area was a unique area…..alas the trip.

The main goal was Asheville, but after researching more and more, we were drawn to the mountain areas, and a bit troubled on how to stretch out the week. We are starting out a Biltmore for a couple of days, and will head up to Blowing Rock, before moving back down to Asheville…and then home. The shopping question was just my quick way to “gauge” the town…not the surrounding area (where there is much to do)….but since then, it does appear that we could have easily stayed in BR for the entire week….(but no furniture shopping…..we would never make it home!!)

We have ultimately decided to explore select areas of the Parkway and surrounding towns for two full days, with an overnight stay in Blowing Rock (Gideon Ridge) My guess is that we will learn enough about the area to make a return trip soon enough. It’s a brief ±12 hour drive from Chicago….which is nothing for us. We’ll be off on our journey toward the end of this month. My next job is to decide what to see, and where to hike…(no mountain climbers here) There are many suggestions on this site that I will read up on before making a decision. I think the ultimate goal is to enjoy what we can and at the end of it all, enjoy a fantastic craft brew at an outdoor café in Asheville…signifying success!!

Thanks again for your insights.

Edited: 09 August 2011, 18:33
Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Blowing Rock Timeframe

Maybe this information will help you.

www.blueridgeparkway.org

www.grandfather.com

www.mastgeneralstore.com

www.southernhighlandguild.org

www.visitboonenc.com

www.mountainsofnc.com

www.blowingrock.com

Linville Falls and Gorge

Linn Cove Viaduct

Mt Mitchell

Craggy Gardens

Chimney Rock

www.vallecrucis.com

USA
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Blowing Rock Timeframe

We always spend three nights in Blowing Rock each year. Always on our list is a visit to the Moses Cone House. They have a lovely craft shoppe filled with pottery, jewelry etc. We also spend part of the day and drive out to Valley Cruses and visit the Old Mast Store. It is like stepping back in time. We always take a picnic lunch and visit the park nearby. A very fun day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blowing Rock Timeframe

Has anyone taken the "Deep Gap Trail"? Wondering if this is a nice trail (maybe not as popular/congested)....or some others that are "foresty" and similar?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blowing Rock Timeframe

The walk around Bass lake it beautiful! Make sure and go to the Moses Cone Manor.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blowing Rock Timeframe

Thanks all. The trip was perfect. Downtown Blowing Rock was filled with many more shops and restaurants than I imagined. Spent a day and a half in and around town. Next time it will be twice that.