We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugar Mtn or Beech? Or both? Where to stay & ski?

Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Sugar Mtn or Beech? Or both? Where to stay & ski?

I haven’t been to either of these resorts in years, but I’m reading that at both mountains, lines are long for everything. I have searched high & low online attempting to find & compare lodging options, but the relevant websites are incredibly antiquated & difficult to navigate.

Could someone familiar with the area please clarify a few things:

Are there lodging options in the actual Village at Beech?

Is it advisable to stay somewhere central (BannerElk) & ski both locations?

Are there equipment rental options besides the resorts (Fred’s?)?

Can anyone recommend a lodging option for a family of three?

Thank you TA!

4 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,457 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sugar Mtn or Beech? Or both? Where to stay & ski?

I think your impressions are correct, but it has been so long since I have skiied I can't tell you for sure. I think the lines move fast.

Lodging, I think a lot of the condos are privately owned, so the resort websites are not really the only place to look. Banner Elk would be fine and then you could compare the two. I'm sure there are plenty of places to rent skis besides the resorts.

Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
15,088 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sugar Mtn or Beech? Or both? Where to stay & ski?

We stayed at a ski in and out unit years ago - but there wasn't enough snow to ski out. We had to drive everywhere. If I were going to ski both, I'd stay in the valley. Less driving and more to do at night (that doesn't require driving). I'd pick Banner Elk too.

Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sugar Mtn or Beech? Or both? Where to stay & ski?

There are a few choices for staying in the Banner Elk area.

Other choices would be Boone or Blowing Rock. Both would require additional driving, but more choices for dining and other activities.

1Little Main Street Inn

607 Main St E, Banner Elk, NC · (828) 898-6109

Smoke tree Lodge I think this is closed.

Sugartop Resort

303 Sugar Top Dr, Banner Elk, NC · (704) 898-9074

Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elkr

1615 Tynecastle Hwy, Banner Elk, NC · (828) 898-4571

Top of the Beech Inn

606 Beech Mountain Pkwy, Beech Mountain, NC · (828) 387-2252

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sugar Mtn or Beech? Or both? Where to stay & ski?

You are right that the Beech Mt. real estate websites are not that good. The Beech Mtn. village is directly at the base of the slope and has no lodging. It is just shops, small brewery, a restaurant or two, and ice skating. We always have rented a house at Beech, but there are condos as well. The Pinnacle is the largest one. The main hub of Beech is at the top adjacent to Fred's store. It is very small with only a restaurant or two.

Banner Elk is a good central location to stay if you want to ski both Beech and Sugar. It is a cute town with a handful of shops, restaurants, and one stoplight. Lees McCrae college is in town as well

There are many off-site places to rent equipment....see my other post.

I'm mainly familiar with Beech.....have never stayed at Sugar...just driven by many times.

Reply to: Sugar Mtn or Beech? Or both? Where to stay & ski?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Beech Mountain