We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort?

2 posts
Which resort?

If NC gets a ton of snow we want to drive up.experienced snow boarders and only care about snow boarding .which resort should we go to ? Beech ,sugar,or appilacian ski resort ? Leaning towards sugar but just not sure

5 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,093 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Which resort?

I think any of the three would be a good choice -

https:/…snowboard-club

This snowboard club skis on all three.

Edited: 03 January 2018, 21:58
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
635 posts
2. Re: Which resort?

I agree with you on Sugar. It has more terrain and a longer vertical drop than Beech and certainly more than App. I think experienced skiers and boarders prefer Sugar for those reasons.

I personally prefer Beech, but I'm an older skier and it is a tradition for us. That being said, Beech is more quaint with a nicer village atmosphere, and a better overall vacation experience in my opinion. Also Beech is at the top of the mountain above Banner Elk, while Sugar is on the main road before Banner Elk.

On weekends and holidays( MLK and Presidents Day) both will be crowded, with Sugar more so since it is easier to get to. Avoid those 2 holidays if you can.

The bottom line is, for pure skiing and boarding, most more advanced riders prefer Sugar.

2 posts
3. Re: Which resort?

AWESOMENE! Thank you so much for the information it was very helpful.maybe we will do both

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
149 reviews
4. Re: Which resort?

The weather is helping this year. It has been cold and several natural snow falls. Enjoy!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5. Re: Which resort?

You should visit WinterPlace. Its right off of 77. Perfect to get to on powder days. Twice the size of any mountain in NC

Reply to: Which resort?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Beech Mountain