We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of March

Level Contributor
38 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
End of March

I've never been to the NC Mountains in late winter / early spring.

We're considering a trip to Beech or Sugar for spring break, march 24 to March 27.

What type of weather should we plan for? Is Snow likely? Or mud?

8 replies to this topic
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of March

Mud

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,204 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of March

In late March, the weather will still be chilly. The days should be cool and night , cold. The weather is very changeable, do it is a day to day happening. In many areas, it can be windy.

No snow that time of year and slopes are usually closed.

There is a local weather service for the area,

www.Raysweather.com

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of March

There definitely CAN be snow that time of year but 9 out of 10 times it will just be cool weather and no snow. We have gone up for spring break for most of the past 10-12 years and have run into snow only once or twice and it didn’t last long. More times than not we’ve seen pleasant days in the low 60s with overnight temps getting down into the 40s.

There’s not really a lot of mud so no need to worry about that. They get mud season up north where they have snow cover all winter that melts in the spring thaw. Since the mountains of NC don’t have snow cover all winter we don’t experience the mud season that somewhere like Vermont does.

Usually when we go up at the end of March we see the beginnings of Spring and the emphemeral wildflowers that come out while the trees are still bare.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,762 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of March

That's late to expect winter weather. As others have said, that's the transition between weather and spring.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: End of March

I would amend my statement to say that it would not be atypical at all to have below freezing temps overnight. I believe the last frost date in the area is usually late April/early May. We have certainly seen snow in April in Boone, but it only lasted a day or two. Usually it's quite nice and spring-like then, but definitely expect cold temps at night.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,497 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: End of March

I have not been there at end of March but have been a couple times in Mid March and woke up to find our car doors frozen shut. Also very foggy coming down the mountain in the early mornings. Wait until later in the day to travel. The couple years we went they had snow over at the ski slopes but only ice where we stayed at Pinnacle Inn.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: End of March

NOT ALWAYS MUD!! I would book with a plan B and be sure I could cancel.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: End of March

We have experienced some really nice snows in March and April in Blowing Rock, and Beech is quite a bit higher. As Panchopup said, mud is not really a problem, but Spring is still a month away. Expect cold, windy days and be pleasantly surprised if you get a day in the high 60's.

Reply to: End of March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Beech Mountain