We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Pontevedra worth a night???

Dungarvan, Ireland
Level Contributor
113 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Is Pontevedra worth a night???

We will be travelling from Porto to Santiago de Compostela this summer. I am trying to organise out how many nights to spend in each place. My question is this: should we spend a night in Pontevedra on the way, or should we just visit on a day trip from Santiago?? I look forward to hearing all your replies. Many thanks in advance!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

I've been researching some of the towns in Galicia and Asturias for a trip next year, and I was would be going near the end of tourist season, I'm concerned about crowds negatively impacting the experience. So, interested in reading about Pontevedra, and interested in suggestions of other pretty, smaller coastal town.

One other question. If I arrive by car, is there anywhere to park? I wouldn't need the car while in Pontevedra, but would just want it fairly handy to explore the surrounding coastline. Thanks.

Dungarvan, Ireland
Level Contributor
113 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

We were in Galicia in the middle of July and, while it was busy, the amount of tourists didn't impact on our trip at all. In fact, it created quite a buzz with all the outdoor cafes and restaurants noisy and bustling. You just have to make sure you have your accommodation booked in advance and get Reception in your hotel to reserve a table for you in restauramts. We stayed in the Parador in Pontevedra and I highly recommend it. They have limited parking right outside the door of the hotel so your car will be very safe.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

We were there last summer for 3 nights, stayed at Dabarca apartment hotel. Great hotel when we needed to get our clothes washed in middle of 15 nights in Calicia. Dabarca rooms includes a washing machine room, small kitchen and separate bedroom etc. And you get a private spot in garage just for 7€/ day.

And yes Pontevedra was a surprise for us, fantastic city!

Edited: 29 November 2016, 18:08
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
135 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

Yes, I highly recommend Pontevedra city too. The loveliest city in Galicia. A lot of pedestrian streets full of life, restaurants, tapas bars, a lot of shops, parks, a beutiful old town, a long promenade if you like walking or strolling, beautiful bridges... And a great atmosphere. We loved it! A fantastic city for sure!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

After reading all these posts I'm glad I included a few days in Pontevedra in the itinerary for my trip next September. I'm starting in Porto and was originally planning to go north along the Astuian coast to Gijon and Olvideo, but decided that was too much driving given my limited time. So I will take in some of the beaches around Pontevedra instead. (Kind of sorry I won't get to Oviedo, but sounds like Pontevedra also has some great classic architecture).

Does any one have a favorite beach or coastal town to recommend? Maybe some place appropriate for a one night stop over, with a nice beach and a couple of good places to eat? (But not too developed. Resort towns like Sanxenxo are not my thing).

Edited: 05 December 2016, 12:08
Dungarvan, Ireland
Level Contributor
113 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

You MUST go to Braga!! It is a fabulous place where you step back in time. We went from Porto to Braga and then on to Pontevedra. It is a wonderful city, although it is inland.

17. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2018, 14:49