We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Pontevedra worth a night???

Dungarvan, Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
238 reviews
Is Pontevedra worth a night???

We will be travelling from Porto to Santiago de Compostela this summer. I am trying to organise out how many nights to spend in each place. My question is this: should we spend a night in Pontevedra on the way, or should we just visit on a day trip from Santiago?? I look forward to hearing all your replies. Many thanks in advance!!

Cordoba, Spain
Level Contributor
37 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

Hi,

Yes of course, the city is lovely and cosy. It's the most beautiful city in Galicia along with Santiago and it has the finest old city along with Santiago too. In addition it's the most pedestrian-friendly city in Galicia and the city is by the sea-ria. It has a lot of tapa bars, shops, restaurants, pedestrian life, parks and a great atmosphere. Near the city there are lovely beaches and the Ria de Pontevedra and its villages are wonderful too. Pontevedra city, Combarro, Portonovo, La Lanzada beach, la Toja island... So Pontevedra city well worth a night or even more.

Regards

Dungarvan, Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
238 reviews
2. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

Fantastic!! That was the push we needed to make up our minds. Thank you so much:-)

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

I agree that Pontevedra is a great little city. The car free old town is wonderful..I way preferred it to Santiago. (As I'd walked the Camino to Santiago I was very happy to arrive there but after a day of streets lined with souvenir shops I couldn't wait to get away.) Pontevedra's old town is lined with funky little arty bars, there are so many lovely parks full of locals just enjoying themselves, and views from various high points. Head towards the lovely little Plaza de la Peregrina (lovely church in the middle) or the old Basilica as a good starting point to explore the old town I only really noticed the Parador and a few small pensions located in the old town, but even where I stayed by the Renfe station was only 10 mins walk.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

Yes, I agree with 779Lyt and newgabe. I think that it's now my favourite galician city. We loved it, it's full of life and it has lovely old buildings, churches (Peregrina church and Sta. Maria Basilica) and nice parks and squares.

Dungarvan, Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
238 reviews
5. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

We have booked in to the Parador for a night but reading all your enthusiastic responses I'm sorry now that we're not staying longer:-) Thanks guys

3 posts
6. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

Hello, I am traveling to Pontevedra by renfe and am curious the hotel you stayed at by the station.

Thanks!

Kristen

3 posts
7. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

Hello,

What hotel did you stay in close to the renfe station? I am looking for a hotel close to the station as well.

Thanks!

Edited: 22 August 2016, 10:34
Dungarvan, Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
238 reviews
8. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

We stayed in the Parador hotel. It was not near the railway station, but a taxi there did not cost much. It was a great place to stay, right in the heart of the old town. I highly recommend it.

Province of Malaga...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

Hi, the closest hotels to the the railway and bus stations are:

- Peregrino (just opposite the railway station): https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g…

- Room: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g…

- Avenida: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g…

The Parador as MMMH said is in the heart of the old town.

Regards

3 posts
10. Re: Is Pontevedra worth a night???

Thank you for the recommendations! :)

Get answers to your questions about Pontevedra